Faculty Success Series
FCDS holds a series of social networking and learning events throughout the academic year—a “Faculty Success Series.” These annual offerings include workshops, seminars, training and opportunities to build your mentoring network. Take a look at the events for the academic year below, and click on each to learn more and register. On this page, you may also view last year’s Faculty Success Series to get an idea of the types of events we hold – and find some that interest you! This page is updated often, so check back frequently.
ACADEMIC YEAR 2016-2017
ACADEMIC YEAR 2015-2016
- Adjunct Faculty Orientation (AFO): Your Survival Kit, January 15, 2016: This orientation will introduce you to a wealth of information that will help you quickly adjust to the RIT classroom and our student population. All adjunct faculty are welcome.
- Evolving Your Career: Managing Transitions, February 5, 2016: The academic world poses career challenges and transitions for faculty and administrators alike. Many transitions are imposed rather than self-directed. The ability to be highly career self-directed is the focus of this workshop. Participants will create a customized career guide through exercises that lay a blueprint for today and beyond. All RIT faculty are welcome.
- Curious About the Mid-Tenure Process (panel discussion), February 12, 2016: Join your colleagues at the 5th Annual Mid-Tenure Review panel discussion where you can ask questions about requirements for mid-tenure review and learn about this important process from faculty who have served on tenure committees and may have been recently tenured. All faculty are welcome; focuses on tenure track faculty.
- 21st Century Scholarship Unlocked: Open Access, February 26, 2016: Come and enjoy light refreshments in an informal setting (individual demonstration tables) as you mingle with faculty and staff from RIT and other institutions who have published journals, conference proceedings, and textbooks on open access platforms. All RIT faculty are welcome.
- Communicating Connections: Guest Speaker Nicole Noren: Nicole Noren, award winning journalist and a producer for ESPN’s Enterprise and Investigative Unit will present to RIT faculty. A 2015 Kiplinger Fellow, Noren specializes in stories on education and health. Her talk will be followed by a panel discussion and responses from select RIT faculty and staff.
- Adunct Peer Mentoring Community Event - Students as Creators: Assigning Multimedia Projects, March 4, 2016: Multimedia projects allow students to combine different types of media (text, audio, video, pictures, graphics, etc.) into a single cohesive presentation. They offer an opportunity for students to actively engage in a project in a way that is relevant and familiar to how they gather and understand information already. Join our guest presenters and your fellow adjuncts for a demonstration highlighting RIT student project examples and a review of the tools to create them. All adjunct faculty are welcome.
- New Faculty Orientation, August 12-14
- Adjunct Faculty Orientation: Your Survival Kit, August 17
- Time Management, September 10
- Publish & Flourish, September 10
- Excel at Teaching, September 11
- Publish & Flourish, September 11
- Power Reception, September 18, (by invitation only for new full-time faculty and academic leaders)
- “COMMENT” - Communication & Outreach through Mentored Media Engagement & Networking Teams with University News, panel discussion, September 21 (all faculty are welcome)
- Grants Exposed! Kick-off Party, October 6
- Feedback is a Gift: 360 Skills October 9
- Adjunct Community Dinner & Discussion, October 15