Faculty Mentoring - Roles
- Openly seek advice from mentors.
- Clarify expectations from Dean, Department Heads, and current mentors.
- Obtain current tenure and promotion guidelines from the Dean’s Office in your College.
- Willingly participate in developmental activities.
- Form an individual mentoring network.
- Help less experienced faculty members (protégés) develop in specified capacities (teaching, research, scholarship, service, etc).
- Provide career advancement advice.
- Offer support.
Department Heads or Immediate Supervisors
- Provide a comprehensive orientation for new faculty.
- Identify individuals to serve as mentors.
- Help match protégés to mentors.
- Manage Plans of Work to reflect mentoring-related activities and responsibilities.
- Provide performance feedback and guidance to faculty.
Provost and Deans
- Through the shared governance model, administer and interpret guidelines for tenure.
- Set guidelines for scholarly productivity.
- Establish a set of rewards and accountability measures to ensure that mentoring remains a priority.
The Faculty Associates to the Provost assist in the implementation of institute-wide mentoring, provide guidance on navigating the promotion and/or tenure processes and advocate for constituent faculty.
African American, Latino American, Native American