Resources & Services
New Faculty Orientation (NFO) is focused on three key success factors for new faculty: introduction to critical information; socialization with their cohort and RIT culture; and network building within and across colleges and disciplines. NFO is held annually in late August, and a web-based resource portal provides timely information, resources, and connections on where to find support at RIT. Click here to view the online New Faculty Orientation Handbook.
The FCDS team also coordinates orientation for RIT adjunct faculty.
The FCDS team coordinates the Institute’s Faculty Mentoring @ RIT program. The program is designed to help tenure-track faculty build and foster their own mentoring network to advance their careers at RIT. Specialized events and opportunities are offered throughout the year and web-based resources and tools are available at the Faculty Mentoring section of this website.
Academic Leadership Development
The Academic Leadership Development (ALD) program includes a comprehensive Department Head Resource portal and General Development Resource repository. The ALD website contains tools, resources and materials to provide just-in-time support as needed. Department Head Peer-mentoring groups provide community, problem solving, and best practices through informal discussion.
Upstarts @ RIT
The FCDS team publishes an e-newsletter featuring newsworthy items, research and trends, and notable practices.
In addition to Your Arsenal, the FCDS team maintains web-based resources for faculty career development including best practice examples, tools and templates. Upon request, the team will research topics of interest for RIT faculty including the benchmark universities in RIT’s group of peer institutions.
What the Heck is POTA?
Faculty Career Development Services (FCDS) and the College of Applied Science & Technology (CAST) co-hosted R. Kirby Barrick from the University of Florida in January 2013. Dr. Barrick presented two sessions for Deans, Associate Deans, Chairs and Department Headst. View the session slides and handouts here:
- "A Comprehensive Approach to the Evaluation of Teaching" handout and slides
- Handbook for Peer Observation for Teaching Assessment (POTA) and slides
- Enthusiasm Rating Rubric
The Teaching Professor on Teaching the Professor
FCDS recently hosted Maryellen Weimer, editor of The Teaching Professor newsletter and Emeritus Professor from Penn State. She presented three sessions for RIT faculty: Creating climates that grow teachers and promote learning, Principles that promote career-long growth for teachers,and Constructive feedback: discovering how your teaching impacts efforts to learn.
Maryellen’s bibliographies are available below, and many of the resources shared are available in the RIT Library databases:
- Assumptions that Grow College Teachers
- Formative Feedback Options
- Reflections Reading List
- The Case Against Teaching (article)
Academic Leadership Development
- Academic Leadership Development Program Report, AY 2012-2013, August 2013
- Academic Leadership Development Research and Implementation Plan, 2012
Faculty Mentoring @ RIT
- Program Report: Faculty Mentoring @ RIT, Year 2, July 2013
- Program Report: Faculty Mentoring @RIT - Support from TWC- June 25, 2012
- Faculty Mentoring Program Assessment – AY 2012, (Faculty Associates)
Research and Benchmark Reports
- Mid-Career Faculty Support: The Middle Years of the Academic Profession, October 2013
- Evaluation of Teaching Effectiveness, November 2012