To graduate from the Honors Program, the candidate must have met all degree requirements in addition to these required below:
The completion of 12 honors points is attained through some combination of the following menu items:
Faculty-sponsored scholarship activities (up to 9 honors points).
- Students participating in a funded 10-week summer research experience are eligible to receive 3 points.
- Students enrolled in classes full time are eligible to receive 1 point for every 60 hours of research (maximum of 3 points per semester)
[+] How to submit
- Submit online on your My Status page, being sure to enter your research mentor’s email in the field provided. An email will automatically be sent to your faculty mentor to confirm your activity. If you do not hear back within 3-4 weeks, please follow up with your faculty mentor to make sure they have sent us a confirmation.
International experience, either study abroad or co-op (3 points per semester, up to 9 points maximum. Points are allocated as follows: 1-5 weeks = 1 point; 6-10 weeks = 2 points; 11-15 weeks = 3 points.
- Submit online on your My Status page. We will confirm your experience with the Study Abroad office prior to awarding your points.
Honors courses (credit hours = honors points).
- Points will automatically be awarded at the end of each quarter after grades have been finalized.
Contract courses (credit hours = honors points).
- Submit your contract course proposal before the end of the add/drop period of the quarter. Points will be awarded upon receiving your contract course completion form at the end of the quarter and after grades for the quarter are finalized.
Faculty/college-sponsored professional activities.
One-week faculty/college-sponsored professional trips (domestic or international) earn 1 point.
- The office receives lists of students who participated in professional trips from the Honors Advocates, and points will be automatically added shortly after your trip.
Honors capstone projects can receive up to 6 points.
- Email the office at email@example.com to request points for a capstone project.
Full-time co-ops or internships which are not required for the student's degree program.
Points are allocated as follows: 1-5 weeks = 1 point; 6-10 weeks = 2 points; 11-15 weeks = 3 points.
- Submit online on your My Status page. Additionally, please have your supervisor email the office with confirmation of your work. Lastly, have your academic advisor email the office to confirm that the co-op is not required for your major.
Other college-specific enhancements, with credits to be agreed upon by the college advocates and program director.
This set of requirements is university-wide, that is, this is the single set of Honors Program requirements that applies to all students.
Honors Program students are reviewed every spring, for satisfactory progress toward graduation requirements. The continuation criteria are:
- Achieve a 3.6 cumulative gpa at graduation. The year level gpa requirements are: 3.2 at the end of the first year; 3.4 at the end of the second year; 3.5 at the end of the third year and 3.6 at the end of the fourth year.
- Be on track to complete the Honors points requirement by graduation (we recommend completing at least 6 points by the end of the second year).
- Complete the annual complementary learning requirement.