POLICY NUMBER: E12.7
POLICY NAME: Outstanding Teaching Award for Non-Tenure-Track Faculty
SCOPE: Applies to Non-Tenure-Track Faculty
- Policy Statement
The Outstanding Teaching Award for Non-Tenure-Track Faculty recognizes excellence in teaching by non-tenure-track teaching faculty at RIT who have made a significant commitment to students at RIT.
- Candidates must be non-tenure-track faculty at the Rochester Institute of Technology as defined in E6.0 - Policy on Faculty Rank, and in each of the three consecutive years preceding the nomination has either 1) taught at least one academic course each academic term, or 2) taught at least four courses over the span of an academic year.
- The candidate shall not have been a recipient of this award in the preceding seven years.
- A selection committee will be appointed by the provost and will include the provost or a dean, a department head, the chair of Academic Senate (or a representative), a student appointed by Student Government, a staff member appointed by Staff Council, and three faculty members each with a minimum of five years teaching experience at RIT. Appointment to the selection committee will be for a given nomination cycle.
- The Selection Committee will solicit nominations from faculty, staff, students and administration.
- Each nominee will be asked to submit a resume, a statement of teaching philosophy, student evaluations, and a recommendation from the academic department head and concurrence from the dean. The selection committee may interview finalists selected from the pool of nominees.
- The award recognizes excellence in teaching. A faculty member should be selected who has demonstrated excellence in teaching, and an ongoing devotion to enhance classroom teaching and student engagement.
- A maximum of two awards will be given per year contingent on funding.
The award will be given at the event organized by the Office of the Provost to honor the winners of this award, the Eisenhart Award for Outstanding Teaching, the Provost’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, and the Trustees Scholarship Award. The awardee will be presented with a framed certificate and a taxable cash award.
Responsible Offices: Academic Senate and the Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. Inquiries can be directed to:
Academic Senate: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs: email@example.com
Approved April 22, 2010
Edited September 2011
Edited March 14, 2013