Online Course Proctoring
Teaching & Learning Services provides proctoring services for online students who must take proctored exams, including:
- Scheduling and administering proctored exam sessions on campus
- Qualifying local proctors
- Securely distributing exams to remote students
On-campus proctoring sessions are for fully online courses only!
- Online students who live within 30 miles of the RIT campus must take proctored exams on campus.
- Remote students who live more than 30 miles from the RIT campus must arrange for a local proctor.
- Online students who are eligible for testing accommodation should contact the Disability Services Office at 585.475.5538.
Requesting Proctoring Services
Online faculty who wish to arrange proctoring for an online course, should contact email@example.com by Week 2 of the term.
- Course name and number
- The full course exam schedule
- The date range each exam will be available, including final due dates
- The time limit of each exam
- Any specific exam rules—open book, open notes, calculator use, etc.
- Any delivery methods that you do not want used when sending exams to external proctors (e.g., hard copy, fax, email).
You will receive a confirmation email within two days of request.
Tracking Student Completion
The Exam Scheduling System (RIT login required) shows:
- All of your scheduled exams
- Which students have turned in exams
If you have any questions about proctoring for online courses, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students may cancel or reschedule an exam through the Exam Scheduling System.
Students who are going to miss the exam deadline must contact the instructor. Instructors must contact email@example.com to give permission for any student to take an exam after the deadline.
If TLS must cancel an exam session due to bad weather or another reason, we will inform the TLS Support Desk by 4:00PM. Students can call the Desk at 585.475.2551 after 4:00PM to confirm the exam session.
If you have any other questions about proctored exams, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.