SnagIt is an application that records desktop images and sounds and saves them as a video file. Faculty can use SnagIt to create simple videos on their desktop for use in flipped or online classes.
Note: RIT does not provide site licenses for this product; users must purchase the software or arrange with their department.
Videos can include:
- Tablet/whiteboard talks
- Software demonstrations
What are the benefits?
- You can use SnagIt to make videos from anything you can display on your computer screen.
- SnagIt saves files as MPEG4 (MP4), the preferred format for mobile devices.
- You can upload videos to RIT's video server for student access and captioning.
Using SnagIt to Create Class Videos
SnagIt identifies a region of the screen and records the visual information in that area, along with audio from the microphone, the system, or both.
- Create or plan your visual components ahead of time. Make sure they illustrate clearly the content you want to explain.
- Create an outline of what you will say.
Getting ready to record
- Open the windows you plan to record, such as a PowerPoint presentation, a website, software for demonstration, or a PDF document.
- "Stack" the live areas that you wish to record on top of each other on your screen.
- If you are using PowerPoint, the Slide Show mode automatically goes to full screen. To resize it for your SnagIt window, hit Alt-D, Alt-V. This launches a window you can resize and re-position.
- Open SnagIt.
- Select Video.
- Recommended Settings:
- Capture Type: Fixed Region
- Properties (at bottom of Capture Type drop-down): Rectangle dimensions: 800 x 600
- Share: File
- Click the red button in the lower right corner to set up the recording.
- Move the recording region over the section you want to record and click the mouse.
- The yellow frame with crosshairs indicates the area that will be recorded.
- A window will confirm that audio is coming from the microphone and the system. Change these settings by clicking on the microphone or system buttons on the control panel.
- You may have to resize and/or reposition windows before recording.
- Hit the ESC key to return to the desktop without recording.
- The recording window and control panel are now set for you to begin recording.
- Prepare any notes you want to consult while recording.
- Click the record button in the control panel.
- A countdown window appears.
- The yellow frame of the window will scroll during recording.
- Narrate as you click through your presentation, demonstrate software, or move from window to window as you wish.
- Everything in the active area will be recorded.
- Click the Pause button to take a break, but not stop recording.
- To end recording, click the Stop button.
- There is a message that the recording is being finalized.
- The recording will open in a SnagIt Editor window.
- Click on the File tab of the SnagIt Editor window to save the file to your hard drive.