You are here
University Writing Commons
At the RIT Writing Commons and Online Writing Lab, students, faculty and staff work with professional and peer writing consultants on their development as writers. The RIT Writing Commons is a free service to the Rochester campus, and the OWL offers support for online users through digital reference materials and networked consultation.
- Assist students in becoming confident, inventive and dynamic writers
- Foster productive, goal-oriented conversations about writing projects at any stage of the composing process, from invention to final draft, and the rhetorical moves of academic and professional writing
- Create an intellectual space for students and faculty to explore university literacy practices with peer and professional writing consultants
- Cultivate an approach to writing that sees language difference as an opportunity for making and presenting meaning, not as an obstacle to understanding
- Collaborate with any faculty member, staff, or student to design and conduct writing-related research.
The Writing Commons is a vibrant community of professional and peer writing consultants.
We offer Walk-in, One-time, & Weekly Appointments for students in any class
Writing Fellows work with faculty teaching Writing Intensive courses to design relevant writing support for students
The Writing Commons has been designed to provide a space for small group, interactive Writing Workshops & Peer Mentoring meetings. Large group Faculty Development Meetings and a Writing Consultation Class also meet in the Writing Commons
RIT’s OWL provides writing consultation for students enrolled in online courses. In the future we hope to offer such consultations to students at our global locations. OWL users can also collaborate on writing projects using digital technologies offering synchronous or asynchronous capabilities
Our Location & Hours
During the 2013 calendar year, the Writing Commons (formerly the “Writing Center” in the ASC) will be moving to the Wallace Center.