You are here
What We Do
University Writing Commons
The RIT Writing Commons provides writing support for students of all levels and in all disciplines. We are staffed by a team of professional adjunct faculty writing consultants and undergraduate peer writing consultants from various disciplines, including the humanities, social sciences, business, imaging arts and design, and the natural and applied sciences. Our consultants provide both individualized and group feedback and guidance on academic and professional writing at any stage of the writing process. Writing consultants can support a variety of writing projects, from research papers to lab reports.
Although our primary responsibility is to undergraduate students, we welcome all members of the RIT community, including graduate students, faculty, and staff. During busy weeks of the semester, we give priority to undergraduate students.
The Writing Commons does not charge for any of its resources.
- Assist students in becoming confident, inventive and dynamic writers.
- Foster productive, goal-oriented conversations about writing projects at any stage of the composing process, from invention to final draft, and the rhetorical moves of academic and professional writing.
- Create an intellectual space for students and faculty to explore university literacy practices with peer and professional writing consultants.
- Cultivate an approach to writing that sees language difference as an opportunity for making and presenting meaning, not as an obstacle to understanding.
- Collaborate with any faculty member, staff, or student to design and conduct writing-related research.
1-on-1 Consultations with Peer and Professional Writing Consultants
The Writing Commons has been designed to provide space for one-to-one and group appointments with a writing consultant. We offer both one-time and recurring weekly appointments and provide walk-in hours every week of the semester. Check our online schedule for the most up-to-date information.
We offer online synchronous appointments for students enrolled in online courses and students unable to meet us in the Writing Commons. For more information about our online services and how to schedule an online appointment, click here.
Note that you must be enrolled as a student at RIT’s main campus in Rochester, New York to utilize online writing support. At this time, we do not provide writing support to international branch campuses.