Minutes

     

ROCHESTER INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
RIT AAUP
DATE: July 09, 2010
LOCATION: SAU-2740

Officers in attendance: T. Policano, J. Naud, C. Monikowski
Call to order by President Policano

MINUTES  6/18/10
OLD BUSINESS:
Update/info:

  • President Policano was elected Chair of the Grievance Committee
  • We will have a table @ the RIT new faculty resource fair (C.Monikowski) – Friday Aug 27, Noon to 1:15 (TBA). We have brochures from national AAUP; good idea to get a list of names/emails of new faculty.
  • RIT AAUP Standing Commitee Charges 2010-11 sent to Academic Senate:
    • Governance and representation for Lecturers. Clarify governance/voting privileges for Lectures by rank for dept, college, and Institute level issues.
    • Recommend a policy for tenure density/saturation @ RIT on the institute, college, and department level. Where do open tenure positions go while reaching the established policy?
    • Teaching loads – Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, Principal Lecturers…especially as teaching load relates to larger class sizes/higher enrollment.
    • FEAD grants for Principal Lecturers? Faculty exchanges
    • Consider Professional Development resources and support for attending conferences for Principal Lecturers
    • Adjunct issues to be discussed university-wide: pay equity among colleges and benchmark salaries by rank (the P&P manual says we have ranks) as well as terminal degree and/or experience, and graduate/undergraduate courses level as well.  Should class size be part of the pay formula for Adjuncts?
    • Non-tenure track faculty and program discontinuance  – review (discontinuation of program) exigency policy for RIT in light of new titles of lecturers and seniority considerations
    • Proposal for University Professor – criteria for promotion
    • Governance Representation for Adjuncts
  • We will also have a “presence” at the RIT djunct orientation, three times during the year; Sarah Cass will distribute info for us and will also distribute to the members of the RIT Learning Communities for AY 2010-11
    • President Policano will put a few things together from our webpage: list of recent accomplishments; FAQs; officers and contact info.
    • 75 copies + 50 for full-time faculty and bring to the next meeting
    • and our flag
    • any left over materials for Jim and the graduate students orientation
    • One note – the new dues schedule for national AAUP begins January 2011; we need to check and see if we need to put an “update” in the packet, if they are still advertising the old dues

First meeting of AY 2010-11

  • Friday September 17, 2010 @ MacGregor’s 4 to 6P
  • Invitation will be included in the packets for new faculty

MEETING WITH PROVOST – what needs to be included?

  • Adjunct issues to be discussed university-wide: pay equity among colleges and benchmark salaries by rank (the P&P manual says we have ranks) as well as terminal degree and/or experience, and graduate/undergraduate courses level as well.  Should class size be part of the pay formula for Adjuncts?
  • http://aaup.rit.edu/documents/E6FinalDraft_05_20_2010.pdf This policy has not yet been passed; E6 dropped ranks for adjunct…why was it removed? A bad “cut” and no “paste”?
  • Proposal to put it back, plus include criteria for promotion; other institutions have processes for promotion e.g. MCC, which is an AFT union shop – MCC allows 8 courses per year (3 per semester + 2 during three-week intersession and/or summer) and full-time load is 10 (5 per semester with up to 3 overloads per semester); legal requirements for benefits? We need specific data if we want to give this to the Provost. What about the California Faculty Association?
  • Will adjuncts be included in future merit pay increases – if not, they get further and further behind; COLA adjuncts with MA are starting at approx $2431 per four-credit course; MCC starting rate for instructor, with MA, this fall $2796 per three-credit; at PhD @ MCC = $2961; RIT COLA PhD $2905

2. Benchmarking and merit – we don’t have a report from AS. Provost wants to re-visit this and we want to offer participation. We missed seeing an overview of the salary distribution for next year, AY 2010-11; we haven’t had that in several years. President Policano has one from 2007, but there is a draft from 2009-10.

3. What about compliance with regard to Lecturer contracts for this year?

4. There seems to be a flaw in the way the Grievance Committee has been running; this has been addressed in the revisions. Whatever is given to the committee has not been shared with the individual (P&P E24). RIT administration could respond to the committee and the individual faculty has no way of knowing and cannot challenge/clarify. Task Force recommended changes but they have not yet been brought to AS.

 

NEW BUSINESS
Campus Equity Week, some time in October; we can publicize to the campus and the greater community

Flyer for students (info re adjuncts) – recommended to ask for a meeting with President of Student Government Association (if he’s available). Present this info to him and see if he is interested in sharing this with students; best if it comes from students.

Adjunct website, independent of RIT’s
President Policano requested (officers agreed unanimously) to support the initial (approximately) $100 to set up an independent site for adjuncts?
www.ritadjuncts.com/org
President Policano will set this up in iPower ISP

AAUP to-do list: President Policano is now the Chair of RIT’s Grievance Committee and needs to be cognizant of possible conflicts (if approached by faculty). VP J.G. Naud will retire at the end of next AY. It would behoove us to try to recruit one or two current faculty members who would be interested in “mentoring” with our chapter President and/or VP to continue this important role for our chapter.

Next meeting Friday August 6, 1-2:30PM  SAU-2740

President Policano adjourned meeting 2:30 @ PM

respectfully submitted CMonokowski, 7/15/10, revised 8/11/10

HOME | MINUTES |