NYSP2I’s R&D Program focuses on applied research — research that will lead to near-term solutions to keep New York State companies competitive in the marketplace while reducing their environmental footprint.
R&D projects are conducted at NYSP2I's four partner universities: Rochester Institute of Technology, Clarkson University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the State University at Buffalo. Researchers at these universities are eligible to apply and receive R&D grant funding each year to promote the development and ultimate implementation of sound, innovative technologies or processes that can reduce environmental impacts and overall costs in NYS. To date, NYSP2I has funded 35 R&D projects, totaling nearly $2 million.
Contact us to learn how R&D funding can complement your efforts to solve process or product manufacturing challenges.
R&D Student Competition: Students at any NYS college or university are also encouraged to participate in the annual Student Competition where teams of undergraduate and graduate students work on sustainability projects that address real world issues.
How to Apply for Funding: If you are currently a faculty/staff member of one of our four partner universities, with a focus on elimination or substitution of toxic chemicals, overall waste reduction and energy & water efficiency opportunities, you may be eligible for NYSP2I’s R&D funding. Please read our most recent Request for Proposals and consider applying! We will be accepting new proposals each Fall.
Test Beds: As a major element of our R&D program, we have established a number of pollution prevention test beds across our partner universities to be used for research. A testbed is a technology development or demonstration facility, laboratory or other platform for use in experimentation for technology development projects that support the goals of NYSP2I. Test beds allow for rigorous, transparent and replicable testing and validation of technologies, scientific theories, analytical tools and other new technologies for demonstration to NYS industries, university researchers, government agencies, non-profit organizations and citizens. Click on the university logos below to view completed NYSP2I R&D projects and test bed facilities.
Test Beds at Clarkson
- Green Processing via Process Intensification
- Advanced Materials Synthesis for Pollution Reduction
- Monitoring/ Sensors
- Environmental Systems
- Green Supply Chain Management
- Biofuels Testing Facility
Test Beds at RIT
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Fuel Cell
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Surface Cleaning Technology Evaluation Facility
- Printing Applications Laboratory
- Electronics Manufacturing and Assembly
- Life Cycle Environmental Engineering of Nanomaterials
- Bio-Fuel Energy System TestBed
Test Beds at RPI
- Computational Center for Nanotechnology Innovations (CCNI)
- Polymer Processing and Testing
- Membrane Process Test Facilities
Test Beds at UB
- Aqueous Process Management
- Sustainable Chemical Processes
- Toxicology and Risk Reduction