Construction Management Minor
RIT undergraduate students may select a Construction Management minor as part of their educational plan. The minor has elective flexibility so that a student may individualize the minor to his/her interests. The Construction Management Minor will broaden the learning experiences and professional opportunities of non-Civil majors by creating a focus in construction management.
RIT undergraduate students from outside the Civil Engineering Technology Program will benefit from the Construction Management minor. Students whose majors fall in the following areas would potentially benefit from the minor: Engineering Technology, Engineering, Multidisciplinary Studies, and Business. Of course, the minor is not limited to students in these fields of study. The minor curriculum offers broadly-based courses covering many aspects of construction management including building construction, cost estimating, construction project management, and construction safety.
Who is Eligible?
- Non-Civil Tech. undergraduate students in any of the eight RIT colleges who have enough free and/or elective credits hours to complete a minor in a field different from their major.
General Policies and Requirements:
- Only undergraduate matriculated students may enroll in the minor.
- Minor consists of five courses.
- Minor must be at least 20-quarter credit hours in length.
- Posting of the minor on a student’s transcript requires a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in the minor courses.
- A minor may not be added after graduation.
Policies and requirements specific to the Construction Management minor:
- Students requesting the minor need to have a Minor Authorization Form signed by the Civil Engineering Technology Program Chair. Students should submit completed forms to their home department for processing.
- At least 20 credit hours from the courses listed below.
- Beginning course for the minor is offered during winter quarter.
- The Construction Management minor meets the criteria established by the RIT Minors Policy[D.1.1] and the Curriculum committee of the College of Applied Science and Technology.
John Morelli, Chair
Civil Engineering Technology Environmental Management & Safety Department
College of Applied Science and Technology
|0608-422||Elements of Building Construction||4||None|
|0608-509||Construction Cost Estimating||4||0608-422|
|0608-560||Construction Project Management||4||0608-509|
|0608-544||Contracts and Specs||2||None|
|Electives: Choose from remaining to total six credits.|
|0608-444||Mech & Elect Equipment for Bldgs.||2||None|
Students could complete this minor in 6 quarters or less. Students must begin the minor in winter quarter with 0608-422, Elements of Building Construction. Note that a student may have to take some of the elective courses at the same time (same quarter) as he/she took a required course.
|0608-422||Elements of Building Construction||None||4|
|0608-509||Construction Cost Estimating||0608-422||4|
|0608-560||Construction Project Management||0608-509||4|
|0608-544||Contracts and Specs||None||2|
|0608-444||Mech & Elect Equipment for Bldgs.||None||2|