Department of Electrical, Computer, and Telecommunications Engineering Technology

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What services does my advisor provide?
A: Advisors answer questions regarding course scheduling, curriculum changes, tutoring services, academic difficulty, change of programs, RIT clubs/organizations, adds/drops, withdrawals etc..

Each program is also assigned a Program Chair. The Program Chairs are able to answer questions regarding co-op, career decisions and course content.

Program Advisor

Electrical Engineering Technology

Prof. Michael Eastman [PDF]
Computer Engineering Technology Prof. Michael Eastman [PDF]
Telecommunications Engineering Technology Prof. William Johnson [PDF]

If you are unsure about who you need to speak to, please contact our main office at (585) 475-2179.

Student Spotlight: Alexander Nilsen,Telecommunications Engineering Technology
"I am looking forward to my next opportunity to go out on co-op..."

Q: Do I have to make an appointment to see my advisor ? 
A: It is best to make an appointment when you want to meet with yor advisor or Program Chair. You can stop in or contact the main office at (585) 475-2179 to make appointments.

Q: What if I'm not available during my advisor's office hours ? 
A: We try to schedule advising hours throughout the week to accommodate all students. However, if you have a conflict, you may contact your advisor directly via phone or email to make arrangements 

Q: How often should I meet with my advisor ? 
A: We encourage students to meet with their advisor at least once a semester (before registration). Any time you have a question or concern, please speak to your advisor. No question is too small!

Course Information

Q: What classes should I take next semester ? 
A: If you are "on-schedule" refer to your program curriculum. However, if you deviated from the outlined course schedule, please consult with your advisor! 

Q: Can I withdraw from a class ? 
A: Withdrawing from a class is possible up until the end of the 13th week of the semester. (You should speak with your advisor, before any action is taken.) Withdrawal forms can be picked up in the department office. You need to get the instructor's signature, and return the form to the department for approval. 

Q: I took a class over--Is there a form I should complete ? 

A: Yes. Courses may be repeated by undergraduate students to improve a grade in accordance with Institute policy. A "Request for Repeat Grade" form can be picked up in the department office. Complete the form and return it to the department for processing. 

Q: Why is a "Request for Repeat Grade" form important ? 
A: If a student repeats a course, the last grade will stand as final and figure into the earned credit hours and GPA. The previous attempt will be excluded from the credit hours and GPA. The previous grade will remain on the transcript, but will have the message " The course above has been repeated." below it.