This series of courses offers students a practical, theoretical and historical understanding of the art and craft of writing nonfiction and fiction prose and poetry. The minor encourages students to use those skills and insights for interdisciplinary projects
Requirements: Five courses are required for the minor in Creative Writing.
Choose three courses from the following group:
1) ENGL-440 Creative Writing: Poetry Workshop 0502-451
2) ENGL-441 Creative Writing: Short Fiction 0502-452
3) ENGL-442 Creative Nonfiction Workshop 0502-459
4) ENGL-443 Editing the Literary Magazine 0502-461
5) ENGL-542 Advanced Creative Writing 0502-462*
Choose two courses from the following group:
1) ENGL–301 The Art of Poetry 0504-441
2) ENGL-302 The Short Story 0504-442
3) ENGL-376 Experimental Writing N/A
4) ENGL-403 The Novel 0504–443
5) ENGL-408 Modern Poetry 0504-460
*Please note that students in the minor may take the Advanced Creative Writing course twice. Advanced Creative Writing allows students "to develop their expressive writing abilities by creating a coherent work or group of works on a subject or theme and in a form of the student\'s choice." The method of the course consists of workshops and conferences with the instructor. A student in the Creative Writing Minor has the option to take one of the Creative Writing courses and then take Advanced Creative Writing twice in order to complete an extended writing project.