Faculty & Staff
- Lisa Hermsen
- Lisa Diaz
- Sharon Beckford-Foster
- Doris Borrelli
- A.J. Caschetta
- Collette Caton
- Babak Elahi
- Catherine Faurot
- Robert Glick
- Gail Hosking
- Shelly Jansen
- Julie M. Johannes
- David Martins
- Stanley McKenzie
- Cecilia Ovesdotter Alm
- Amit Ray
- Linda M. Reinfeld
- John Roche
- Sandra Saari
- Richard Santana
- Michael Sarnowski
- Laura Shackelford
- Elena R. Sommers
- Thomas Stone
- Paulette Swartzfager
- Karen vanMeenen
- Selma Wilson Jacobson
- Dianna Winslow
Associate Dean/Associate Professor
2215 Liberal Arts
Phone: (585) 475-5235
BA, San Diego State University (1989)
MA, University of California at San Deigo (1992)
Ph.D., University of Rochester (2001)
19th and 20th century U.S. literature, multi-ethnic U.S. literatures, diasporic literature, Iranian fiction and film, immigration and ethnicity in the United States.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The Fabric of American Literary Realism, McFarland Press, 2009
- work in progress: The Iranian Condition: Illness as Metaphor in Moodern Iranian Literature and Film
Peer Reviewed Articles
- "Crossing Tehran Avenue: Digital and Urban Spaces in Tehran," Cultural Studies (forthcoming)
- "Fake Farsi: Formulaic Flexibility in Iranian American Women's Memoirs, MELUS 33.2 (Summer, 2008)
- "Resistance, Accommodation, or Haggling: Postcolonial Theory and International Business Communication," JAC, 25.3 (2005).
- "Translating the Self: Language and Identity in Iranian-Ameircan Women's Memoirs," Iranian Studies, 39:4 (2006).
- "The Heavy Garments of the Past: Mary and Frieda Antin in The Promised Land," College Literature 32:4 (2005) 29-49.
- Co-Authored with Grant Cos: "The Immigrant's Dream and the Audacity of Hope:The 2004 Convention Addresses of Barack Obama and Arnold Schwarzenegger," American Behavioral Scientist, 49:3 (2005): 454-465.
- "Pride Lands: The Lion King, Proposition 187, and White Resentment," Arizona Quarterly, 57:3 (2001): 121-152.
- "Reading the Exile's Body: Deafness and Diaspora in Kader Abdolah's My Father's Notebook, accepted conditionally for inclusion in Representation of the Self in Iranian Literature, Art, and Film (Athabasca U P, Canada)
- "Textiles and Time: Hawthorne and the Temporality of Dress in Ante-Bellum America," solicited for Crossings in Textiles and Texts under review at University Press of New England/University of New Hampshire Press
- "Politics in Motion: [Three Books on Iranian Cinema]," Afterimage 37.5 (2010)
- "Eaststruck: Janet Afary and Kevin Anderson's Foucault and the Iranian Revolution in Context," Human Studies, 30:2 (2007) 157-166
- "A World Between: Poems, Short Stories, and Essays by Iranian-Americans. Edited by Persis M. Karim and Mohammad Mehdi Khorrami. New York: George Braziller, 1999. and Let Me Tell You Where I’ve Been: New Writing by Women of the Iranian Diaspora. Edited by Persis M. Karim. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas, 2006." MELUS 33:2 (2008) 177-81.
- "Hybrid Haggling: Hamid Naficy's The Making of Exile Cultures," Afterimage, 21:8 (1994): 15