Liberal Arts Core
Arts of Expression
General Education Framework for Semesters
Quarter Curriculum Liberal Arts Core
Students in all baccalaureate degree programs are required to complete at least 90 credit hours of general education. This includes a minimum of 36 quarter credit hours in the humanities and social sciences taken in the College of Liberal Arts. If a student selects to complete a minor in the College of Liberal Arts, the total number of required humanities or social science credits will be 44. Students enrolled in bachelor of science programs also must complete at least 20 quarter credit hours of general education in the College of Science.
The College of Liberal Arts general education curriculum is divided into an introductory core, an Arts of Expression course, and advanced courses in a liberal arts concentration or liberal arts minor. The requirements for baccalaureate degree programs are summarized below.
I. The introductory core totals 20 credit hours and is composed of the following 200- to 300-level courses:
- Writing Seminar (0502-227)
- Social / Behavioral Sciences - Choose TWO from the following choices (must be from different disciplines):
- Cultural Anthropology (0510-210)
- Principles of Microeconomics (0511-211)*
- American Politics (0513-211) OR Intro to International Relations (0513-214)
- Introduction to Psychology (0514-210)
- Foundations of Sociology (0515-210)
- Humanities - Choose TWO from the following choices (must be from different disciplines):
- Literary and Cultural Studies (0504-210)
- Fine Arts (0505-213 or 0505-214 or 0505-215 or 0505-216)**
- History (0507-301 or 0507-302 or 0507-305 or 0507-306)
- Science, Technology, and Society (0508-211 or 0508-212)
- Philosophy (0509-210 or 0509-211 or 0509-213)
II. Arts of Expression course (4 credit hours)
III. Advanced course work in a liberal arts concentration or minor (minimum 12 credit hours required in 400- to 500-level courses).
Students enrolled in associate degree programs will generally complete only a portion of the liberal arts requirements listed above. Additional information is provided in the undergraduate bulletin or through academic advisers.
* 0511-211, Principles of Microeconomics is a required course for Economic Program students and students in the College of Business (COB) and therefore not an option for COB or GENC students.
** 0505-213, Fine Arts: Visual Arts is not an option for students in the following College of Imaging Arts & Science degree programs: JADC, JADF, JADU, JADI, JADL, JADM, JADW, JSCC, JSCG, JSCM, JSCW, JPDH, JPHR, JPHA, JPHU
Arts of Expression courses focus on a dominant mode or modes of expression within a liberal arts context: writing, speaking (oral or sign), theatrical interpretation/dramatic reading, visual literacy, and/or foreign language.
Students may choose one of the following courses to fulfill the Arts of Expression requirement. Please check the schedule of courses for exact offerings and times.
0504-319 AE: Writing About the Disciplines
0505-319 Shakespeare on Stage
Science, Technology and Society
0508-319 AE: STS Classics
0510-319 Ritual and Performance
0513-319 Politics through Film
0525-390 American Sign Language
0525-400 Beginning Arabic I
0525-420 Beginning Chinese I
0525-440 Beginning French I
0525-460 Beginning German I
0525-480 Beginning Japanese I
0525-500 Beginning Italian I
0525-520 Beginning Portuguese I
0525-540 Beginning Russian I
0525-560 Beginning Spanish I
0535-501 Public Speaking