Mission, Principles & Goals
International Education encompasses “the conscious effort to integrate and infuse international, intercultural, and global dimensions into the ethos and outcomes of postsecondary education. To be fully successful, it must involve active and responsible engagement of the academic community in global networks and partnerships.” (NAFSA: Association of International Educators’ 2010 Task Force)
Prepare students to be successfully engaged in a global society
- Knowledge of and respect for world cultures, languages, and global environments.
- Active and sustained international networks, partnerships, and active programs.
- Active faculty involvement, exemplary standards of practice and academic rigor, reliable and sustained financial support.
- International education should permeate all aspects of campus life and culture.
Knowledge and Skills:
- To develop intercultural and second language competencies
- To cultivate the ability to operate effectively in multi-cultural, cross-cultural, and inter-cultural situations
- To develop understanding through direct experience of different world cultures as reflected in the arts, language, history, economics, political institutions, thought systems, and other cultural forms
- To advance critical thinking by generating an informed stance from which to evaluate one’s own perspectives and values and those of others
- To deepen an ethical awareness of the social and political realities of the world
- To promote active engagement with individuals and communities
- To expand one’s own perspectives through exposure to different cultural viewpoints
- To engage in intellectually stimulating experiences that promote lifelong learning
- To reflect on the interrelationship between culture and individual worldviews
- To cultivate an appreciation for cultural diversity
- To increase awareness of the interconnectedness of various cultures, identities, socio-economic systems, and environments
- To recognize and understand the global implications of local actions
- To contribute to harmonious cooperation among all peoples for the advancement of world peace
- To foster a sense of responsibility for oneself and others in a global context