What is Francophonie? Qu'est-ce que c'est la Francophonie? In today's world of globalization and the clash of various cultures, it is important to know one's neighbors. French is spoken by 290 million people in 28 countries. Knowledge of the language enables the speaker to understand different cultures and gain a broader view. Countries where French is one of the primary languages are located in Europe, the northern and western part of Africa, the Caribbean, parts of North and South America, and in southeastern Asia.
Top 5 Reasons to learn French
- More than 1,200 French companies have subsidiaries in the U.S., and France is the largest recipient of U.S. foreign investment.
- French is an official language of the European Union, and the language of the second largest trading block in the world.
- French is the second most commonly used language in communications in the United Nations.
- In many scientific fields at the graduate level, most American institutions require a reading knowledge of French or German in order for scholars to be able to conduct research. France continues to be a leader in civil engineering, medical technologies and telecommunications.
- More than 40% of English vocabulary comes from French.