NEW YORK ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGISTS (NYASP)
The Annual Conference was held in Syracuse, NY at the Wyndham Hotel on October 19-21,2006. “School Psychologists Moving Forward with Children in Mind” was the central focus of this conference, featuring over 30 presenters and 2 ½ days worth of workshops.
A variety of topics were covered, such as Behavioral and Academic Evidence-Based Interventions, changes in Federal and State Laws, Mental Health Issues, Assessment strategies, and Social Skills issues.
NYASP hosted a variety of prominent speakers, including, but not limited to:
- Keynote presenter Dan Reschly, Ph.D. discussed RTI in General, Remedial and Special Education;
- Keynote presenter Carl DiMartino, Ph.D. discussed RTI applications with students with emotional difficulties;
- NYASP President John Kelly, Ph. D. discussed SPEAK, a promising suicide prevention program. In teaming up with the Office of Mental Health (OMH), Dr. Kelly has helped train professionals on SPEAK throughout New York ;
- Cecil Reynolds, Ph.D. who developed the Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scale;
- Keith Connors, Ph.D. who developed the Conners Rating Scales,
- Jim McDougal, Ph.D. discussed DIBELS;
- Jim Wright, originator of www.interventioncentral.org, who also discussed RTI;
- Suzanne Graney, Ph. D., who discussed curriculum-based assessment approaches.