Site-wide links

Student Services

College of Liberal Arts Placement Exams
AP / IB/ CLEP / Transfer Credit
Forms & Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
Peer Mentors
Student Organizations

The Office of Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts provides liberal arts advising and scheduling assistance to all students at RIT. The advising staff can help students select liberal arts courses for their degrees, develop a plan of study, evaluate liberal arts transfer credit, and explain RIT's policies and procedures. This office also provides study abroad advising to help students add an international dimension to their studies and fulfill liberal arts requirements at the same time.

Student Services Overview

Office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office remains open until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday during drop/add. Walk-ins are welcome or students can call 475-2444 to schedule an appointment. The office is located in suite 2210-2222 in Liberal Arts Hall (Bldg. 6).

Liberal arts requirements vary within the individual degree programs on campus. Therefore, it is important that students carefully plan their liberal arts program to meet their specific degree requirements. Academic advisors are available daily to provide assistance in planning and selecting appropriate liberal arts courses. Through this office, the college provides liberal arts advising and audits for each degree program to help students maintain records of progress toward their degree.

To schedule an advising appointment, please e-mail an advisor or call 475-2444.

More about advising…

College of Liberal Arts Academic Advisors:

Marcia Beattie Marcia Beattie, Sr. Academic Advisor,

Academic advisor for Criminal Justice, Philosophy, Political Science, and Urban & Community Studies
Kristen Simmons Kristen Simmons, Academic Advisor

Academic advisor for Advertising & Public Relations, Journalism, Professional & Technical Communication, and Psychology
Pat Sanborn Pat Sanborn, Academic Advisor and Career Seminar Instructor

Academic Advisor for students in the Liberal Arts Exploration program
Tammi Wiley Wickson Tammi Wiley Wickson, Academic Advisor

Academic advisor for students in Economics, International Studies, Museum Studies, Public Policy, Sociology and Anthropology
Tammi Wiley Wickson Lawrence Contéro, Academic Advisor

Liberal Arts general education advisor for students in the Saunders College of Business, College of Applied Science and Technology, College of Imaging Arts and Sciences, Center for Multidisciplinary Studies, and National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Tammi Wiley Wickson Sheila Oakden, Academic Advisor

Liberal Arts general education advisor for students in the Kate Gleason College of Engineering, B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences, College of Science, College of Health Sciences and Technology, and University Studies
Writing Placement Exam

Learning to write well in higher education depends on direct instruction in writing as well as multiple opportunities to practice writing. In an effort to provide students writing instruction appropriate to their abilities, the University Writing Program has developed the Writing Placement Exam (WPE). This timed, written exam is required of all first-year students who do not meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • A score of 560 or higher on the verbal section of the SAT
  • A score of 23 or higher on the English portion of the ACT
  • A score of 6 or higher on the SAT essay exam

Students who have not taken either the SAT or ACT need to take the WPE. The outcome of the exam has no effect on your GPA, and is used to determine whether you will be placed into ”Critical Reading and Writing (UWRT-099) or First Year Writing.

If you are bringing in First Year Writing transfer credit or a score of 3 or higher on the AP English Language & Composition exam, you do not need to take the exam.

You do not need to prepare for the exam, but you do need to take it seriously.

  • You will be allowed 60 minutes to write an essay in response to one of two prompts.
  • Once the essay has been evaluated you will be notified of the results.

If you need to take the WPE, you will be notified in May via email. The exam is only available online until June 30. To access the exam, you will need to use your RIT user name and log in to MyCourses ( If you do not take the 60-minute, online exam before June 30, you will not be allowed to enroll in either “Critical Reading and Writing” or First Year Writing for the fall term. Please direct any questions you have about the exam to the University Writing Program Senior Staff Specialist, Angela Brodie at 475-7965 or

Advanced Placement (AP)

The College Board's Advanced Placement (AP) Program allows high school students to test their proficiency by taking an exam which covers college level material. AP examinations are offered in more than 14,000 high schools in the United States, Canada, and 63 other countries. A score of 3 or higher (on a grading scale of 1 to 5) can be considered for credit at RIT. The College of Liberal Arts grants credit for AP in:

  • Art History
  • Economics: Macroeconomics
  • Economics: Microeconomics
  • English Language & Composition
  • English Literature & Composition
  • European History
  • Foreign Language (Chinese, French, Italian, German, Spanish)
  • French Literature
  • Government & Politics: U.S.
  • Government & Politics: Comparative
  • Music Theory
  • Psychology
  • Spanish Literature
  • U.S. History
  • World History

Advancement Placement Articulation Chart (PDF)

The College Board's AP Website:

International Baccalaureate (IB)
RIT recognizes IB level work. Credit may be awarded for higher level examinations completed with a grade of 5 or better. Credit is awarded on a course-by-course basis and in the context of the student's intended program at RIT. Each department will determine the specific amount of credit to be awarded. Students may forward IB transcripts to the Office of Admissions for evaluation.

Student Services Transfer

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP is a nationwide system of credit by examination offered by The College Board. Any person entering college, presently attending college or out of college may take CLEP examinations and seek credit by submitting the test results to RIT for evaluation. Credit recommendations for CLEP vary depending on the subject and examination results. Please consult with an advisor in the Office of Student Services for further information and to determine which examination will fulfill Liberal Arts course requirements.

Transfer Credit
The Office of Student Services evaluates liberal arts transfer credit for prospective and matriculated RIT students. Students thinking about taking liberal arts courses at another college or university will need to consult with an advisor in the Office of Student Services and complete a "Transfer Credit Prior Approval Form" before registering. Prospective students can call the Office of Student Services at (585) 475-2444 for questions about acceptable courses for transfer to RIT.

RIT's transfer credit policies:

For common course equivalencies at local colleges or universities near Rochester, see lists below.

For new general education semester equivalencies, please see lists below.

Student Services FAQ

Why can't I enroll in First Year Writing?

Students must take the Writing Placement Exam (WPE) in order to enroll in First Year Writing (UWRT 150 or ENGL 150). Students are given the opportunity to take the WPE on-line prior to fall orientation. Students who did not take the exam prior to orientation can call 475-7965 or e-mail to find out when future on-line examinations will be offered.

What is the Writing Placement Exam (WPE)?

The purpose of the Writing Placement Exam is to determine whether students may enroll directly in First Year Writing (UWRT 150 or ENGL 150) or must take Critical Reading and Writing (UWRT 100) before taking First Year Writing. The WPE is an essay test. Students have 60 minutes to write the essay in response to one of two prompts. Students may take the WPE only once, so they should endeavor to do their best on the exam.

How do I find out the results of the WPE?

Students are assigned an English Composition Level (1-2) as a result of the Writing Placement Exam*. If you don’t know your English Composition Level, please contact your academic adviser or an adviser in the College of Liberal Arts Office of Student Services.

Level 1 - Student is required to take Critical Reading and Writing before taking First Year Writing.

Level 2 - Student is approved to enroll in First Year Writing.

*Students who achieve either a 560 or higher on the verbal section of the SAT; a 23 or better on the English portion of the ACT; or a 6 or higher on the SAT essay exam are exempt from taking the Writing Placement Exam and may automatically enroll in First Year Writing.

Why can't I enroll for a Liberal Arts class that still has open seats in it?

This means that the course section has enrollment requirements in effect. Seats may be reserved for a particular program or minor which may either be temporary or permanent. Please check the student information system for the course criteria for enrollment. If you do meet the criteria and are still unable to enroll, please contact the Office of Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts for assistance.

How can I get into a closed class?

In many circumstances, an instructor may be unable to accept additional students due to the size of the classroom and/or nature of the particular curriculum. As class enrollment can fluctuate during pre-registration and drop/add periods, please add yourself to waitlist and continue to monitor SIS for openings that will permit you to be waitlisted and/or enrolled.

How do I declare a Minor or Immersion?

For more information, please click on the following website at:

Students are advised to declare a minor or immersion in their second year.

How do I find my professor's office?

Please check the RIT directory website at:

Students may also call 475-2444 for more information.

When should I seek advice from the Office of Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts?

Students should see an advisor when they have questions regarding:

liberal arts curriculum requirements for your degree program
choosing a Liberal Arts double major, minor, or immersion
enrolling in liberal arts courses
audit of their liberal arts requirements (good idea to check at least once a year)
liberal arts transfer credit or study abroad
changing your program to a liberal arts major
choosing liberal arts courses that will enhance your field of study

College of Liberal Arts Peer Mentor Program

Peer Mentors are third- and fourth- year Liberal Arts majors carefully selected to help new students transition to undergraduate life at RIT. The peer mentors share their knowledge of the Institute, the College of Liberal Arts, and their academic department with new students through programs, events, and services that are designed to build a sense of community. Although advice from a peer mentor does not take the place of professional advice from an Academic Advisor or a Faculty Mentor, first-year and transfer students are encouraged to attend peer mentor events and visit peer mentors during their office hours.

Feel free to email a peer mentor to set up an appointment. Each peer mentor also has posted office hours in their academic department.

Stephanie Barbato Stephanie Barbato
Major: Psychology
Minor: Criminal Justice
Jaclyn Bergin Jaclyn Bergin
Major: Advertising & Public Relations
Minor: Web Design and Development
Parris Bryant, II Parris Bryant, II
Major: Economics
Immersion: Criminal Justice
Brandon Dziedzic Brandon Dziedzic
Major: Psychology
Kayla Emerson Kayla Emerson
Major: Philosophy
Double Major: Physics
Kelly Fidler Kelly Fidler
Major: Communication (Started in Liberal Arts Exploration)
Minor: Music
Zoe Gaye Zoe Gaye
Major: Political Science
Double Major: International Studies
Ashley Koszalka Ashley Koszalka
Major: Advertising & Public Relations
Immersion: American Artistic Experience
Megan Moltrup Megan Moltrup
Major: Museum Studies
Minor: Art History
Aaron Pentheny Aaron Pentheny
Major: Criminal Justice
Double Major: International Studies
Erin Supinka Erin Supinka
Major: Journalism
Immersion: Psychology
Andrew Tuttle Andrew Tuttle
Majors: Sociology and Anthropology
Minors: French

Clubs & Organizations

Your college experience isn't just about what happens in the classroom.  Students at RIT are encouraged to get involved on campus, whether that means joining a club, participating in Student Government, or going Greek.  With over 250 active clubs, 11 major student organizations, and 30 Greek organizations at RIT, there's something that is sure to pique your interest!  Find out more through the Center for Campus Life

In addition, the College of Liberal Arts sponsors the following student organizations:

College of Liberal Arts Student Advisory Board

The College of Liberal Arts Student Advisory Board (COLA SAB) is student organization run by liberal arts students and sponsored by the Dean's office. COLA SAB acts as the voice of students who are enrolled in a College of Liberal Arts program.  The group actively participates in addressing issues within the College of Liberal Arts, gives opinions about subjects that affect RIT students as a whole, and works to improve the student experience here at RIT.

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Babak Elahi (

Criminal Justice Student Association (CJSA)

The Criminal Justice Student Association at RIT provides students interested in criminal justice a chance to engage their interests outside of the classroom in exciting ways. CJSA is an organization that allows students and faculty to work together to explore opportunities in the community and criminal justice fields through research, volunteer work and trips.

For more information, contact faculty advisors Dr. Judy Porter ( or Dr. Jason Scott (

Lambda Pi Eta – Communications Honor Society

More than 100 students and alumni of the Department of Communication degree programs are members of Lambda Pi Eta, the communication honor society of the National Communication Association. The honor society's mission is to stimulate interest in the discipline of communication and promote professional development among communication majors. Lambda Pi Eta recognizes and fosters outstanding scholarship and achievement in communication studies.  Induction is by invitation and requires Junior standing as a Communication major and a minimum 3.35 GPA in at least 18 hours of communication courses. Lambda Pi Eta builds stronger relationships between faculty and students, and assists students exploring options for graduate education in communication. Lambda Pi Eta members engage in service projects and are leaders in the Department of Communication.

For more information, contact faculty advisor Professor Keri Barone (

Omicron Delta Epsilon

Omicron Delta Epsilon is the international honor society for Economics at RIT. It is one of the world's largest academic honor societies. The objectives of Omicron Delta Epsilon are recognition of scholastic attainment and the honoring of outstanding achievements in economics; the establishment of closer ties between students and faculty in economics within colleges and universities, and among colleges and universities; the publication of its official journal, The American Economist, and sponsoring of panels at professional meetings as well as the Irving Fisher and Frank W. Taussig competitions. Each year at RIT, we induct students who meet the minimum standards for membership at the annual Spring Economics Party. 

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Bríd Gleeson Hanna (

Philosophy Club

RIT's Philosophy Club is made up of students who enjoy informal, thought-provoking discussions on topics of broad interest, such as human rights, current political issues, how the mind works, and arguments concerning religion. The club holds regular discussion meetings, sponsors presentations by faculty members and guest speakers, meets to attend movies and events of philosophical interest, and sponsors an undergraduate philosophy conference in the spring. Meetings are informal, fun, and no experience is necessary.

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Evelyn Brister (

Political Science Club

The purpose of the Political Science Club is to assist students in expanding their knowledge of local, state, national and international politics; and to provide a non-partisan space for students to discuss political questions and ideas freely and openly.

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Sean Sutton (

Prelaw Association

Open to all majors, the RIT Prelaw Association holds meetings and seminars on preparing for law school and sponsors a speaker series on law related topics. The purpose of the Prelaw Association is to encourage students interested in law or law-related professions, prepare students to apply for and attend law school, and develop student research, writing, and advocacy skills.

For more information, contact faculty advisors Dr. LaVerne McQuiller Williams, J.D., Ph.D. ( or Jennifer Gravitz, J.D. (

Psychology Student Society

RIT's Psychology Student Society combines scholarship, community, and friendship by fostering working relationships with the Psychology department and engaging the Rochester area through philanthropy and the Imagine RIT Festival.  By hosting activities and events, we hope to give back to the university, as well as serve as a source of intellectual discussion for those interested in the field of psychology.

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Tywanquila Walker (

Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)

PRSSA members have the opportunity to attend exclusive events, network with professionals, learn about public relations from first-hand experience, and obtain reduced professional fees for the parent organization, Public Relations Society of America.  Members can use skills learned in public relations courses before starting their careers. "Advancing the profession and the 'student professional" is what this organization is all about. PRSSA meets monthly. Some helpful websites are and

For more information, contact faculty advisor Professor Mike Johansson (

RIT Student Music Association (RITSMA)

RITSMA is RIT's Student Music Association. The group exists to support and promote music on campus through Battle of the Bands, Open Mic Nights, concerts, trips, fundraisers, and more. RITSMA serves as a web of contacts for independent musicians at RIT and in the Greater Rochester Area. They are always looking for new talents, new interests, and new insights!

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Carl Adkins ( or the club president (

Sigma Iota Rho — Honor Society for International Studies

Membership in the society is a sign of high academic distinction. Among other benefits, members can publish in the Journal for International Studies, apply for research and travel grants, and gain professional networking opportunities in the global network. 

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Michael Laver (  


Signatures Magazine, RIT's award-winning, student-run art and literary magazine, was founded in 1985, and publishes annually. Signatures also sponsors art exhibitions, poetry readings and slams, and other events on campus. They welcome student submissions and staff participation.

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. John Roche (


The RIT Drumline is a performing arts group consisting of Battery and Pit percussion ensembles. The RIT Drumline competes in the New York State Percussion Circuit, where it is currently the defending State Champion of its class. The Drumline also plays at various sports events and festivals on campus to support RIT teams.

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Jon Kruger (

Pep Band

The Pep Band plays at all men's Division I hockey games in the Frank Ritter Arena, as well as other athletic and non-athletic events.  The pep band consists of many instruments to create that much needed atmosphere of school spirit at the hockey games.  Included instruments are drums/marching drums, electric guitar/bass, electric violin, French horns, flutes, clarinets, saxophone, trumpets, trombone, alto, baronets, and the all-important conductor.  The Pep Band always welcomes new members!

For more information, contact faculty advisor Dr. Jon Kruger (