RIT University/Community Partnership is the primary resource at RIT to facilitate the integration of experiential community-based learning and research into RIT’s academic programs.
The mission of RIT University/Community Partnership is to support and propel the implementation of neighborhood revitalization activities in the city of Rochester while broadening and deepening the educational experience for RIT students.
This mission is accomplished with community partners by:
• Facilitating the discovery of new knowledge and the application of existing knowledge through community-based participatory action research that results in community revitalization, builds upon community assets, and fosters the intellectual and social development of students
• Focusing the discovery process on the study of everyday life in Rochester neighborhoods, determining what residents want to change, developing a plan to accomplish change, and carrying out the plans
• Strengthening RIT faculty competencies to implement community-based participatory research into their teaching practice
• Promoting student participation, building an ethic of civic engagement and community involvement in professional practice and resident-led asset-based community development
• Transferring innovative appropriate technology from the university to the community
• For over a decade RIT has been in front of national trends in higher education by developing long- term, co-equal relationships with residents and organizations serving Rochester’s neighborhoods
• These sustained partnerships provide longer-term meaningful opportunities for faculty and student involvement in the community, strengthening the academic experience
• Partnership activities have attracted a diverse community of students and faculty from six colleges at RIT