Susan Smith Pagano
Thomas H. Gosnell School of Life Sciences
Rochester Institute of Technology
85 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623
- Avian nutritional ecology
- Physiological condition of migrating songbirds
- Phenology of bird migration
- Smith, S. B., A.C. Miller, C.R. Merchant, and A.F. Sankoh. 2015. Local site variation in stopover physiology of migrating songbirds near the south shore of Lake Ontario is linked to fruit availability and quality. Conservation Physiology 3(1): cov036. DOI: 10.1093/conphys/cov036.
- Pagano, T., A.G. DiFrancesco, S.B. Smith, J. George, G. Wink*, I. Rahman, and R.J. Robinson. 2015. Determination of Nicotine Content and Delivery in Disposable Electronic Cigarettes Available in the USA by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry. Nicotine &Tobacco Research, Published online 06/04/15. Accepted/In Press. DOI: 10.1093/ntr/ntv120.
- Smith, S.B., A.D. Ross, and T. Pagano. 2015. Chemical and Biological Research with Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Students: Ensuring a Safe and Successful Laboratory Environment. Journal of Chemical Health and Safety, Published online 04/02/15. Accepted/In Press. DOI: 10.1016/j.jchas.2015.03.002.
- Pagano, T., A.D. Ross, and S.B. Smith. 2015. Undergraduate Research Involving Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Students in Interdisciplinary Science Projects. Education Sciences, Special Issue "Global Perspectives on Higher Education" 5(2):146-165. DOI: 10.3390/educsci5020146.
- Seewagen, C., M. Glennon, and S.B. Smith. 2015. Does exurban housing development impact the physiological condition of forest breeding songbirds? A case study of ovenbirds (Seiurus aurocapillus) in the largest protected area in the contiguous United States. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 88(4):416–424.
- Smith, S.B., S.A. DeSando, and T. Pagano. 2013. Value of native and invasive fruit-bearing shrubs for migrating songbirds. Northeastern Naturalist 20(1):171-184.
- Smith, S.B. 2013. A physiological assessment of seasonal differences in spring and autumn migration stopover at Braddock Bay, Lake Ontario. Condor 115(2):273-279.
- Smith, S.B., and P.W.C. Paton. 2011. Long-term shifts in autumn migration by songbirds at a coastal eastern North American stopover site. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 123:557-566.
- Smith, S.B., and S.R. McWilliams. 2010. Patterns of fuel use and storage in migrating passerines in relation to fruit resources at autumn stopover sites. Auk 127:108-118.
- Smith, S.B., and S.R. McWilliams. 2009. Dietary macronutrients affect plasma lipid metabolites and body composition of a migratory passerine, the White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis). Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 82:258-269.
Smith, S.B., K.H. McPherson, J.M. Backer, B.J. Pierce, D.W. Podlesak, and S.R. McWilliams. 2007. Fruit quality and consumption by songbirds during autumn migration. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 119:419-428.