Lindberg's Physlet Code
The following links are to physlet animations of physics ideas that use Wolfgang
Christian's Physlets. The activities were coded by Vern Lindberg, and in some
cases are adapted from other code as indicated in the individual pages. These
run in Netscape Navigator 7 under Mac OSX, and should run on Netscape or Explorer
under windows. You are welcome to use or adapt code providing that it is for
educational applications--read the physlets information on use and copyright.
- paths Balls move in different paths.
Name paths. (circle, line, parabola)
- ave_speed Investigate differences
in average and instantaneous speed and velocity. 1. Three balls, same ave
velocity= ave speed 2. One ball in round trip.
- ave_speed_graph Part
1 (three balls) of previous exercise with x-t graphs added
Watch animation, sketch graph, check with actual plot.
- KinematicsCheck Puck
off wall again, different conditions, find velocity and speed
- 1D Accel A ball heads toward
a wall, bounces off and comes to rest due to a friction-like force. Graph
of velocity shows two accelerations and sudden change at impact.
- 1Dpaths Four balls travel in
straight lines with different motions (const v, accelerated uniformly, SHM).
Describe motion and determine maximum velocity.
- 1DpathsAns Answers including
velocity vectors and readout of velocity
- SpeedVelocity1 Puck moves
at constant speed, bounces off wall, changing speed, questions of velocity
- SpeedVelocity1T Same
as above with image of car (Incomplete)
- SpeedVelocity2 As above
but adding graph of x-t
- SpeedVelocity3 As above
adding arrow for displacement
- a_v_x A ball accelerates. First
sketch graph of position-time on screen, then see if it is correct. Next sketch
v-t on a second grid and check. Finally sketch a-t and check.
- MatchGraphs1D Car moves
in several manners. Determine a function that matches motion
Motion is shown, then user sketchs x-t on screen, then checks.
- HareAndHound Graphs of x-t
cross. When are speeds same etc.
- rocket Rocket launched from rest,
engine off after 3 s. Shows motion graph
- rocketVel Rocket launched from
rest, engine off after 3 s. Shows velocity graph
- rocketbad Same rocket, second
part of trajectory assumes v=0 at engine off point.
- rocketbadVel Same rocket,
second part of trajectory assumes v=0 at engine off point. Plots velocity.
- carshift A car shifts gears
smoothly and a graph of x-t is shown. Can you see when the shift occurs?
- carshiftvel Same car but
now v-t is shown. Shift is now clear with different (constant) values of acceleration
before and after.
- ball 2D Trajectory of ball on another
planet, find minimum speed.
- ballAns Shows velocity vector and
components for previous problem.
- circular Uniform Circular Motion,
drag vectors to get Δv
- path2d Ball moves in an oval with
variable speed. Plot of speed-time is shown. Vectors for velocity and acceleration
- nonUniformCircular Ball
speeds up going around a circle. Velocity and acceleration observed.
- vector1 Two fixed vectors, arrange
to get sum, difference
- vectors2 Arrange 3 vectors to
get sum. Check with components.
- 1d_drag Parachutist falling with
quadratic air resistance
- rocketLaunchTrue Includes
effect of fuel, assumes constant g and no drag
- ballDrag2D Projectile (not on
Earth) with quadratic air drag
- ForceWork Apply a constant force
for limited time and see how far and how fsat object ends up. After a Beichner
- work_energy_area2 Horizontal
mass-spring and graphs. Which one shows the work?
Phasors Both have problems.
- phasors Phasor to wave
- phasor2 Phasor to wave again