Partnerships In Pluralism
What are the dates I need to know in order to participate in Partnerships in Pluralism?
- Participants will be notified of their partners around October 31, 2011.
- Partnerships in Pluralism will convene on November 2, 2011 at an introductory meeting/luncheon introduced by Dr. Destler and Vice President McDonald.
- The Partnerships in Pluralism program will be ending in early June, and is usually celebrated with a picnic at Liberty Hill, hosted by Drs. Destler and Rebecca Johnson
What are the expectations for partners when participating?
- Faculty and staff partnerships will be created with an emphasis on inclusive and diverse backgrounds.
- Partners are encouraged to meet about every two to three weeks on personal time. Many people will meet during lunch, or breaks.
- There will be a list of possible questions for partners to use as they become acquainted in the initial stages; other exercises and activities will become available as the program advances.
What are the group ‘cluster’ meetings and what happens there?
- Each pair of partners will be assigned randomly to a cluster which is overseen by a pair of facilitators from Partnerships in Pluralism. Clusters meet for about an hour or ninety minutes during the work day, about five times a year.
- Each cluster will facilitate group activities, or debrief with the progress of partners as a small group. They work with the Director of Diversity Education to provide appropriate structured exercises to address partners’ interests.
How did Partnerships in Pluralism begin, and what if students want to participate?
- Partnerships in Pluralism was introduced at RIT in 2003, and has continued to be offered to RIT faculty and staff for eight consecutive years.
- A student-focused program, The Global Leadership Program, was introduced in 2009 as a parallel program for students and faculty/staff mentors, with similar goals in the fostering and creating student partnerships in global diversity. It was created as a joint initiative between the Office for Diversity and Inclusion and the RIT Leadership Institute. For more information, contact the RLI, at 585-475-4110. Or see the website: http://campuslife.rit.edu/leadership/rli_courses.php
You can sign up for Partnerships in Pluralism by registering here.Kick-off Orientation Event and light luncheon with President Destler will be on:
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
12:00 Noon - 2:00 PM
The Reception Room of the Gordon Field House and Activities Center