Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
- B.E. Mechanical Engineering, American University of Beirut, 2007
- M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2009
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2013
Motivated by the need for nondestructive full-field experimental techniques for material characterization and stress analysis of perforated structures whose boundary conditions are unknown, Wael’s research combines analytical principles of elasticity with experimental techniques to analyze and better understand complicated structural problems. More specifically, Wael’s research efforts to date have focused on investigating and determining the full-field state of stress of perforated structures such as machine components, wood metal plate connectors, bolted joints, etc having unknown loading conditions by hybridizing a variety of different nondestructive experimental approaches. To this end, Wael’s research spans full-field experimental techniques such as thermoelastic stress analysis (TSA), modern grey-field photoelasticity (GFP or PSA) and more recently digital image correlation (DIC).
More recently, Wael has been looking into utliziing nondestructive techniques for a better assessment of water pipeline corrosion levels in Aluminum production facilities.
1. W. A. Samad and R. E. Rowlands (2014) “Hybrid Thermoelastic Analysis of an Unsymmetrically-Loaded Structure containing an Arbitrarily-Shaped Cutout”, Hybrid Techniques and Inverse Problems, Springer International Publishing, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-00876-9_7
2. W. A. Samad and R. E. Rowlands (2014) “Stress Analysis of a Metal-Plate-Connection in a Beam under 3-Point-Bending Using Digital Image Correlation”, Advancement of Optical Methods in Experimental Mechanics, Springer International Publishing, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-00768-7_22
3. W. A. Samad and R. E. Rowlands(2013) “Hybrid Full-Field Stress Analysis of Finite Structures Containing Arbitrarily-Shaped Cutouts”, Journal of Experimental Mechanics,DOI 10.1007/s11340-013-9821-7
4. W. A. Samad, A. A. Khaja, A. R. Kaliyanda and R. E. Rowlands(2013) “Hybrid Thermoelastic Stress Analysis of a Pinned Joint”, Journal of Experimental Mechanics, DOI 10.1007/s11340-013-9822-6
5. W. A. Samad and K. Suresh (2011) “CAD-Integrated Analysis of 3-D Beams: A Surface-Integration Approach,” Journal of Engineering with Computers, DOI 10.1007/s00366-010-0191-9