When you're going about your college shopping and packing for school there are, of course, lists of items to bring as seen at many generic stores (ie. Target, Staples, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc). However, there are some things that may not even cross your mind until you've already waved goodbye to your parents so i'm going to see if I can help out a bit to make your list of forgotten things a tad smaller.
- Scissors-- You just never know when you're going to need to open something.
- Dish Soap/Sponge--- I'm staying in the dorms over the summer and this is something that I regret not bringing. Sure you can use soap from the bathrooms but it's not as effective.
- Tissues-- I'd recommend 1 or 2 boxes to start off with, you can always buy more.
- Paper Towels-- These are incredibly helpful for absolutely any messy situation and there are no paper towels in the bathrooms so don't expect to just use those.
- Shower Shoes-- Old flip flops, really cheap flip flops, flippers it doesn't really matter what they are but you're going to want something to wear in the shower.
- Shower Tote-- This is on most people's list, however, I would like to point out that you should check and make sure it has sufficient drainage at the bottom. Mine would tend to load up with water during the shower and I would have to tip all of the contents out at the end to get the water out.
- Mug-- Gracie's has tea bags and I became quite the tea drinker late at night while working on homework and it was helpful to have my own mug. On this same topic, I would recommend a travel mug of sorts. Many of the coffee places on campus will give you 10 cents off your purchase for being environmentally friendly.
- Tape-- I'm not sure why but people are always asking me for my tape, it just comes in handy I guess.
- Business sized envelopes-- about 5. You don't need to go out and buy a million and two of these little buggers but having a few on hand is always helpful. I didn't really send out that much mail but when I did it was nice to have a few sitting around.
- Tupperware-- much like the envelopes, you don't need to go out and buy the entire Tupperware section of the store. Just a small variety of sizes, I found it helpful to have some to keep food I didn't finish, etc.
- Umbrella-- who likes to get wet while walking to class? it comes in handy. Rainboots could fall into this category as well, I loved being able to run through puddles without getting wet.
That's about all I can think of for now. If i think of anything else I'll add it to one of my next posts. Please note that this is only a list of things people typically forget; you still have to bring all of your clothes, towels, blankets, pillows, school stuff, computer, cords, etc.
Speaking of all of this... school starts soon! I'm constantly surprised that it's already the end of July, September is creeping up closer than we might think-- and move in week is even sooner. Are you ready?!