To those going on coop in an unfamiliar city: my advice to you is to construct a bucket list of local attractions and experiences. A bucket list will put you on the fast track to exploring the area and seeing if you like the town for a potential full time location. It is also a convenient last minute list of things to do with fellow interns. For Burlington (my current coop location), I created a bucket-list with my roommate of all things Vermont: organic food, cliff jumping, watching the sunset at the “most romantic” spot on the UVM campus, North Beach, Waterfront concerts, Magic Hat and Ben & Jerry’s Factory tours, and hiking Vermont’s highest peak – Mt. Mansfield.
For those new to Rochester I suggest you add the following on your bucket list:
- Dinosaur BBQ (best ribs in NY)
- Lake Ontario (beach and boating fun in the summer)
- Lilac Festival (one of several Rochester festivals throughout the year)
- Bristol Mt (if you’re a skier/boarder this is the closest mountain!)
- Garbage Plates (Nick Tahou)
- Public Market (Saturday morning market of produce, groceries, plans, and wares)
- Take a trip to Buffalo (1 hour west); or Syracuse (1 hour east)
- The dollar theater ($2 tickets on Monday nights!)
- Amazing Maize Maze (corn maze and hayrides in the fall)
If you have more suggestions feel free to post!