On the first weekend of February 2013, RIT's Center for Campus Life, in conjunction with numerous other campus organizations, held the institute's 4th Annual Freezefest, a campus-wide event that features fun events to bring the school together and make the cold weather a bit more fun. The award winning Freezefest featured more than 30 events hosted by a handful of various groups including the College Activities Board (CAB), Student Government (SG), Global Union, the Interfraternity Council (IFC), Tango Club, Quidditch Club, and Sigma Sigma Sigma. Prior to Freezefest there were lots of giveaways of cool (and practical) Freezefest gear such as hot and cold tumblers, pens, chapstick, slouch beanies, aluminum water bottles, fingerless gloves, gum, and long-sleeve performance tees that led up the the enjoyment-filledweekend.
Despite warmer weather and a lack of snow (that saw the popular Rail Jam event being cancelled for the second straight year), Freezefest was quite well attended and a whole lot of fun. Some featured events include:
- PuppyFest: one of the weekend's most popular events where puppies from local shelters for students to play with and pet.
Credit: David Beyerlein
- Joel McHale: the talented and comical Joel McHale (from Community and The Soup) performing live in front of the RIT community.
- Global Union's Unification: a spectacular show that features more than 10 of Global Union's most talented affiliate groups preforming cultural dances and performances from around the world.
Credit: Sean Sullivan
- Snow Globe building: have your picture taken and put inside a snow-globe!
Credit: Sue Weisler
- Taking a Carriage to Class: an opportunity to ride around campus in a real horse-drawn carriage.
Credit: Sue Weisler
- Greek Bonfire: an event for Greeks and independents to mingle, enjoy some BBQ, and temporarily escape the cold.
Credit: Peter Ryan, Jr.
Others were an Extreme Pogo Stick demo, an Ice Sculptor, a 5K Run & Walk, and the Superb' OWL Party. Freezefest is a great pick-me-up for the campus as students haven't seen much of the sun and have seen all too much of snow and cold weather. With Freezefest over the countdown begins for Spring Fest and Imagine RIT!
Be sure to follow me on Twitter (@pryanjr) for more frequent updates.