- Program Benefits
- How We Prepare Students
- Partnering with RIT
- Selected Corporate Partners
- Job Offer Guidelines and Principles for Ethical Professional Practice
RIT recognizes the importance of preparing students for successful careers in a global society.
Through the Work Abroad Program we aim to expand our employer partnerships to offer more international co-op, internship and other related work experiences, and welcome you to partner with us in providing these opportunities for highly motivated and qualified students to gain significant experience in living and working outside the United States.
Our goal is to ensure that at least 10% of our more than 3,500 co-op students work abroad annually, enabling them to become effective leaders in the global marketplace through firsthand exposure to other cultures and work environments.
In addition to the several benefits typically enjoyed from hiring our co-op students, there are many unique advantages associated with employing our co-op students for work assignments abroad. Students working abroad:
- Typically have already completed at least one co-op, so they are mature and prepared to be effective members of your workforce
- Are passionate about being successful in a global economy, and are committed to applying best practices in your workplace
- Bring knowledge of cutting-edge technologies and can provide training to your employees on those technologies
- Can apply their English language skills to projects, in addition to their technical know-how and creativity
- Are a source of qualified candidates, who will have expertise in their field as well as global experience, to fill your future full-time positions
Before our students take part in a work abroad experience, we ensure they are ready to effectively applying their skills to your workplace by:
- Require at least 1 year of language training for the country in which they will be working
- Provide cultural adjustment training and tips for living and working abroad
- Offer training on health and safety practices when living and working overseas
- Assisting with work permit and visa paperwork as needed
- Provide ongoing communication and support while students are abroad
Joining RIT’s Work Abroad Program is easy! Simply take the following steps:
- Develop a job description aligned with your company’s interests and needs, and contact us at 585.475.5479 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with posting your position. This position can be for a 4-8 month timeframe, and should be beneficial for both the student and your company.
- Provide compensation that minimally covers the cost of living in the country. Our students are responsible for their travel to your location overseas; however, we appreciate any assistance you can provide in locating housing close to your company’s site.
- Provide appropriate training and mentoring to the student.
- Complete an online evaluation of the student’s work performance.
To join our Work Abroad Program, please contact Maria Richart, email@example.com, Associate Director for International Outreach, who can answer any questions you may have about
RIT’s Work Abroad Program and assist you with listing your position.
The following companies have joined RIT’s Work Abroad Program to provide students co-op and internship positions abroad:
|Briggs of Burton PLC||CIS Abroad|
|Box International||Cultural Vistas|
|FOGRA, Germany||DAAD German Academic Exchange Service|
|Xerox Research Center Europe||A Door to Italy|
University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, Wales