We’ve compiled some career-related information and resources specifically related to women that may be helpful as you plan your career or start your job search. Please contact our office if you would like more information on any of the following program and events.
- Company Events and Opportunities
- Networking and Professional Associations
- Women's Leadership Blogs
- Job Search Resources
Company Events and Opportunities
We are pleased to announce that Vanguard will sponsor three student scholarships for the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing. Winners of the scholarships will receive the opportunity to attend the conference. The Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing is a series of conferences designed to bring the interests of women in computing to the forefront. Past Grace Hopper Celebrations have resulted in collaborative proposals, networking, mentoring and increased visibility for the contributions of women in computing and we look forward to supporting this event. The deadline to apply for a scholarship is typically in May. Interested students should apply directly through the Grace Hopper Celebration website
Vanguard offers two scholarships: The Vanguard Women in IT Scholarship and the The Vanguard Minority Scholarship. All information needed to apply is available on their website: http://www.sms.scholarshipamerica.org/vanguardwomenintechnology
Professional associations are a great way to develop and maintain your network, for your job search and throughout your career. You should consider joining an association in your area of interest; most have student chapters. Here are some specifically targeted to women.
- ACM-W (Association for Computing Machinery - Women in Computing) http://women.acm.org/ - ACM-W's mission is to celebrate, inform and support women in computing, and work with the ACM-W community of computer scientists, educators, employers and policy makers to improve working and learning environments for women. This includes promoting activities that result in more equal representation of women in CS such as mentoring or role modeling; monitoring the status of women in industrial and academic computing through the gathering of statistics; providing historical information about women's accomplishments and roles in CS; and serving as a repository of information about programs, documents and policies of concern to women in CS. Through international and local activities and chapters, educational outreach, recognition of leading women in CS, cooperation with other organizations, and the dissemination of information via newsletters, blogs, and reports, ACM-W promotes the growth and development of women seeking to attain careers in computing.
- Advancing Women - http://www.advancingwomen.com/ - This International Network for Women in the Workplace highlights issues for the working woman. Includes an online career center, Today's Women's News feature, forums for discussion, links for networking with international women, personal services resources and links to similar sites.
- BellaOnline - http://www.bellaonline.com/Channel/c2.asp - Online resource for women that has career and networking advice, as well as chat areas and discussion forums for online networking.
- DinnerGrrls.org - http://www.dinnergrrls.org/ - a great networking and mentoring site for women, from all over the world. Includes both online resources and network, as well as local chapters in some U.S. cities. For all women, from college student to CEO. Free to job-seekers.
- iVillage.com - http://www.ivillage.com/ - Another online women's resource with career and networking advice, and chat areas and message boards for online networking.
- LinkedIn Women for Hire Group - http://www.linkedin.com/ - An online discussion forum for issues relating to women and work. You can find and join this group by going to LinkedIn and searching the groups section, and requesting to join. Discussions offer good advice, information, resources, and opportunities to network.
- American Medical Women's Association
- American Woman's Society of Certified Public Accountants (AWSCPA)
- Association for Women in Communications
- Association for Women in Computing
- Association for Women in Science (AWIS)
- Federally Employed Women (FEW)
- IEEE Women in Engineering
- National Association for Female Executives (NAFE)
- National Coalition of 100 Black Women, Inc.
- Society of Women Engineers
- Women in Technology International (WITI)
- Women's National Book Association (WNBA)
- EWGA – Executive Women’s Golf Association: It’s not just about the golf! The EWGA is a member-based association focused on enriching the lives of women through the game of golf. Whether you are getting ready to learn the game, seeking ways to improve your skills, expanding your network of business contacts, or just wanting to unwind with a new circle of friends at social gatherings and fun golf get-togethers – the EWGA is the place for you. Student rate - $50. Contact Kris Stehler (email@example.com) for information and application. - www.ewga.com
- Digital Rochester - http://www.digitalrochester.com
- RWN - Rochester Women's Network - http://www.rwn.org/
- SWE - Society for Women Engineers - http://www.swerochester.org/
- WIC - Women in Computing - http://wic.rit.edu/
- WIT - Women in Technology - http://www.rit.edu/cast/wit/
- WE@RIT - Women Engineers at RIT - http://www.rit.edu/kgcoe/women/
- SWE - Society of Women Engineers - http://www.rit.edu/kgcoe/swe/
- RIT Center for Women and Gender - http://www.rit.edu/studentaffairs/womenandgender/
- TheGlassHammer.com - TheGlassHammer provides commentary on news, social and political trends that affect women executives in financial services, law and business, as well as reporting on women’s conferences and events. Regular ‘Voice of Experience’ posts profile notable women leaders such as Colette Taylor, Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer of Americas Institutional at Russell Investments and Lynn Tilton, CEO, Patriarch Partners.
- NinaSimosko.com - Nina Simosko is a member of SAP’s Senior Executive team, heading up SAP’s system integrator partnerships globally as well as sharing management of SAP’s global Go To Market relationships. With all that responsibility and frequent travel, it’s incredible how prolific she is as a blogger. Her topic is leadership, often with a pop-culture twist as in posts about what leaders can learn from Conan and Leno, or Britney Spears, and a smattering of core leadership skills such as strategy, empathy and managing in a matrix.
- Caroline Simard and Telle Whitney’s blog at Fast Company - Dr. Caroline Simard is Director of Research and Dr. Telle Whitney is President and CEO of the Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology. They co-author this blog, rich with examples of what it really takes to recruit, retain and advance women within the unique culture of Silicon Valley hi-tech companies. Recent posts feature what women technology executives say about the ‘hero culture’ in hi-tech companies, and from-the-trenches examples of how to retain top technical talent.
- Future Women Leaders - A not-for-profit professional women's organization in the San Francisco Bay Area, FWL is led by a young, energetic leadership team. Their blog is frequently updated with their events and profiles of women leaders and up-and-comers.
- The Center For Women’s Leadership, Babson College - Blog posts by the Center’s staff support their mission to ‘disseminate best practice for women's entrepreneurial leadership’, with take-aways from their executive education programs for women. They also profile authors and thought leaders on topics regarding women’s impact on the economy and participation in the workforce.
- Women’s Job List - Search thousands of jobs on the largest job board for women. The resume posting service, career advice, and job search engine are all free services for job seekers. http://www.womensjoblist.com/
- Career Women - Career women can help you find a job and find the right woman for the job. Search jobs and search resumes for the perfect candidate. http://www.careerwomen.com/
- Career and Job Resources for Women JobSeekers - Free to job-seekers. The self-proclaimed premier search directory for women. Includes a rather large directory of issues relating to women. http://www.quintcareers.com/women_career_resources.html
- Women for Hire - Search our job board for opportunities that may be of interest to you. Women For Hire is the leading women's and diversity career recruitment specialist. http://www.womenforhire.com/
- Advancing Women - Advancing Women.com helps women break through the “glass ceiling”, provides business and leadership goals, and features our targeted, diversity job board. http://www.advancingwomen.com/
- Jumpstart Your Job Search - "Busy Women Sharing Solutions and Advice". Pat Kendall's A-Z job search support site. http://www.jumpstartyourjobsearch.com/women.html