Notification and Registration


1 After Accepting a Job Offer

1.1 Registering Your Co-op

1.2 International Students

1.3 Co-op Salary and Income Tax Information

1.4 Registering for the next quarter while out on co-op

2 Employer evaluation of co-op performance

Accepting a Job Offer

Congratulations! Once you accept a co-op job offer, even verbally, you are expected to honor this commitment.  You must not back out, or renege on the job, to work for another employer! Make sure you confirm your start and end dates, work hours and other work site expectations with your employer prior to starting your job.

Co-op employers expect RIT and its students to operate according to accepted business ethics and standards.  Further, RIT expects your behavior at all times, whether on or off campus to be in accordance with the standards articulated in the RIT Students Rights and Responsibilities Handbook and the Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services' Co-op Student Agreement.

International students need work authorization from the RIT International Student Services and cannot co-op until after three consecutive full-time academic quarters of study have been completed (

Registering Your Co-op

After you have accepted a co-op job, two steps are required to ensure that you will receive the appropriate co-op "credit" for each quarter you will be on co-op:

  1. Notify the Office of Co-op and Career Services. You will need to complete the Report Your Co-op form and submit. 
  2. Register SIS for co-op. You must register for co-op as a course. You will find the course number in the schedule of courses. By registering for co-op as a course, you will maintain your full-time student status and thus your eligibility for financial aid, student housing, etc. Also co-op will appear on your transcript for the quarter - an important asset! Some students need to have their academic department register them for co-op. (Major-specific registration details can be found in your Co-op Quick Guide).

International Students

If you are an international student, you must obtain employment authorization from an international student advisor at RIT's Office of internatinol Student Services. Please see more information here: Failure to obtain work authorization is considered one of the most serious violations of immigration rules and regulations.

Your Co-op Salary and Income Tax Information

Your employer determines your compensation level. Salary rates are based on a number of variables, including your academic major, year level, prior work experiences and established company policies. There may be some room for negotiation based on circumstances. Check our web site for the latest co-op salary data listed by academic program.

According to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), salaries/wages paid to co-op students are fully subject to applicable federal and state income taxes.

Registering for the next quarter while out on co-op

While out on co-op you will receive registration information from your department to telephone register or register online for the next quarter. If your next quarter is part of a double block co-op, you must register for the second co-op as well.

Employer evaluation of co-op performance

To receive a “Satisfactory “ (“S”) grade for co-op on your transcript, the following evaluation documents must be completed and returned to the Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services:

  1. Employer Evaluation of your performance. A link to a customized evaluation form is emailed to your employer by the Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services during the midpoint of each quarter you are on co-op.
  2. Student Co-op Work Report. Most, but not all, students need to complete a report. (Check your Co-op Quick Guide to see if is a requirement of your program). This report is available to you via the student portal page of our site during the midpoint of each quarter you are on co-op.