Computing Security MS
- Master of Science
- Approximately 53 students are enrolled in the Computing Security Masters degree program.
Cooperative Education & Experiential Education Component
- Cooperative education assignments are optional for graduate students.
Salary InformationCo-op: $26.29 $13.75 - $40.00
Student Skills & Capabilitiessystems from the threats, exposures and risks, possible through unauthorized access in today’s networked computer environment, outline and apply appropriate methods and mechanisms that can be used to protect enterprise data to help manage the risk of unauthorized data access, data tampering, or theft, communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with other security and computing professionals, research security issues, synthesize the information, and communicate the results of the research to business and computing professionals, design and analyze basic cryptographic algorithms and protocols, evaluate security mechanisms in terms of their effectiveness, maintenance and appropriateness in computer networks, and evaluate ethical controversies and use various decision-making approaches for resolving ethical dilemmas in complex situations.
RIT is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, which is the unit of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools that accredits degree-granting colleges and universities in the Middle States region, which includes Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.
RIT has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense by National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security since 2006.
Equipment & FacilitiesOur students have access to hundreds of computers that are distributed over several specialty labs inside and outside the department. These labs include: the Security Lab, the Air-gapped Lab, the Networking Lab, the Systems Administration Lab, the Projects/Trouble Shooting Lab, the programming labs and the database labs. Each of these facilities is fully equipped with high performance desktop machines and makes extensive use of virtualization technologies to provide a wide variety of operating system environments. In addition, the labs have a full array of networking equipment from a variety of vendors. The networking labs are also equipped with wireless access points with 802.11a,b,g, and n protocols, layer 3 switches, as well as network simulation, network data capture and virtualization software. The security lab includes a full assortment of firewalls, IDS, VPN bundles, layer 3 switches, routers, digital forensics software, and various other pieces of security related software. The air-gapped lab has a standalone cloud infrastructure along with six cabinets of servers and network devices for students to configure their own enterprise networks in cyber defense and attack exercises, and network pentesting projects. Additionally, computing security students have access to commercial grade enterprise security produces such as IBM QRadar SIEM suit, McAfee ePO suit, Splunk, etc., and forensics tools such as EnCase, FTK, etc.
- DevOps and Security Engineer
- Technology Analyst
- Cyberphysical Systems Engineer
- Incidence Response Consultant
- Network Systems Engineer
- Security Analyst
- RIT is a top 100 National University: https://www.rit.edu/overview/rankings-and-recognition
- We have a dedicated department for Computing Security, being the first university in the U.S. to offer an academic department devoted entirely to the field (https://csec.rit.edu/),
- inside a dedicated college for Computing and Information Sciences (http://www.rit.edu/gccis/)
- We are designated a Center of Academic Excellence in both Research and Education by NSA/DHS: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=62888&source=enewsletter
- We have a dedicated Center for Cybersecurity which partners with industry leaders to understand cybersecurity needs and serves as a hub for various research projects: https://www.rit.edu/cybersecurity/
- The Center has major RIT support (over $2M): https://www.rit.edu/showcase/index.php?id=342
- RIT just received a $50M gift, of which $20M goes to cybersecurity: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=65352
- Our Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (CCDC) team won Nationals in 2013: https://www.rit.edu/gccis/computingsecurity/news/rit-ccdc-team-heading-nationals
- We created the Collegiate Penetration Testing Competition and now host the National event (NCPTC): http://www.nationalcptc.org/
Selected Employer Hiring PartnersGreyCastle Security, JPMorgan Chase, Kodak Alaris, MITRE, National Security Agency, Oracle America, Raytheon, Securonix, Veritas Technologies, LLC, Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Contact UsWe appreciate your interest in your career and we will make every effort to help you succeed. Access information about services at https://www.rit.edu/careerservices.
Michelle A. Magee, Senior Associate Director Employer Engagements & Partnerships
Rochester Institute of Technology. Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education
Bausch & Lomb Center 57 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester NY 14623-5603