Site-wide links

Rochester Institute of Technology logo

These materials are copyright Rochester Institute of Technology.

Copyright, disclaimer, and contact information, available via the links in the footer of our site.

Military & Veterans

liveperson actn-apply

verterans yellow ribbon

verterans club graphic

Helpful Information & Services

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Academic and Personal Support Services
Tutorial Assistance
Reimbursement for Licensing & Certifications
Requesting Military Transcripts
WAVE Information (Chapters 30, 1606 & 1607)
Housing & Child Care Options in the Area
Transferring GI Bill® Benefits

U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Back to top »

Academic and personal support services

We recognize that transitioning from the military life to the life of a college student can present new challenges. We are committed to helping you meet these challenges and to succeed at RIT. RIT offers a wide array of excellent academic and personal support services that can be accessed directly. Students looking to use VA benefits for tutorial services or VA work study will be well advised to check with our office first.

Academic Support Services:

Whether you need help with the content of a class, or you need help figuring out the best ways to take notes, study, or manage your time to get all your work well done, RIT has people dedicated to helping you. You can receive help individually, in groups, one time only, or all semester long. There are multiple options! Here are some of the places where you may find the help you need:

Personal Counseling and Support Services:

RIT’s Counseling Center provides personal counseling, career counseling, group counseling, and psychological and vocational assessments. Although there is no limit on the number of sessions a student may have through the Center, it recognizes that student veterans can experience difficulties resulting from their military life, which can fall outside its expertise. RIT’s Counseling Center is able to refer student veterans to local agencies specializing in veterans’ issues:

Because women’s needs can be different than men’s needs, The Women’s Center at RIT strives to foster an educational environment in which women can be personally, academically and professionally successful. For more information, please visit:

Back to top »

Tutorial Assistance

Tutorial assistance helps the student pay for necessary tutoring and is a supplement to the student’s regular education benefit. Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary. For additional information, including an overview and application form, please review VA - Tutorial Assistance.

Back to top »

Reimbursement for Licensing & Certifications

To learn more about using your GI Bill benefits to cover the cost of exams, approved exams, and the process to submit a reimbursement request review VA – Licensing & Certification .

Back to top »

Requesting Military Transcripts

The following links can be utilized to request military transcripts be sent to RIT.

Back to top »

WAVE Information (Chapters 30, 1606 & 1607)

All veterans using chapters 30, 1606, or 1607 must verify their enrollment each month to the VA in order to receive payment for that month. This monthly verification can be done by one of the two following ways:

  1. Phone: 1-877-823-2378
  2. Internet: Log into the program called WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment):
Back to top »

Housing & Child Care options in the area

RIT offers many different housing options to student veterans both on and off campus. In addition, Margaret’s House, a Child Care Center, is located right on the RIT campus.

On campus housing: For information on housing on RIT’s campus, please go to our Center for Residential Life’s website, at:

Off campus housing: There are a lot of options near RIT. For help regarding off-campus housing, visit:

Daycare:  Children between the ages of 8 weeks and kindergarten can attend Margaret’s House Child Care Center on campus ( Financial aid is available. Children in kindergarten through grade three can also attend Margaret’s House after school hours, on their days off, and in the summer.

School District: RIT is located in the Rush-Henrietta School District, which provides bus transportation. Its excellent high school is rated in the top 1,000 high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek Magazine (2008).

Back to top »

Transferring GI Bill Benefits

If you are a parent or spouse wanting to transfer your military benefits, utilize the following VA and DoD links to learn more about the process.

VA - Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

DoD - GI Bill Transferability

Back to top »

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at