Dubai Policies, Procedures and Protocols
The liaison person for SLI Department to work with in Dubai for administrative issues which include:
- Contact with students and staff for operational issues and concerns
- Marketing of the program including courses to be taught and schedule for classes
- Problem resolution for any issues which occur with faculty or students
- Recruitment questions or concerns
- Overall all aspects of the operations of the SLI program which occur
The person named by President of Dubai is: Dr. Khalid Khawaja for Academic Affairs and Rizwan Tahir for operational issues. June 2017
- RIT Dubai applications for the SLI will be reviewed by RIT Dubai designee (Dr. Khalid, Dr. Tahir)
- Those who do not meet the admission requirements will be rejected locally and their application will not be sent to RIT NY.
- The applications of those who have a GPA>3 and a TOFEL score>550 will be sent electronically to the SLI Department Chair and she will send her approval of acceptance via e-mail to Admission Recruiter Mahmoud Aboulfotoh as soon as possible so students can be informed of the decision. Paper work for the acceptance will be taken from the email notification and SLI Advisor will capture all the documentation and create a file for the accepted student.
- English requirements for potential Dubai students: As of June 2014 Dubai has developed an English Language Center which can provide limited support to students with marginal English and/or limited ability to write in English. Given this support the following protocols are in place to guide admission decisions for the SLI program;
- All applicants will take the TOEFL/IELTS exams and once their score is computed decisions about admission can be made.
- If RIT Dubai supports the acceptance of those applicants whom their GPA is between 2.5 en RIT Dubai will complete the justification/recommendation form that explains why the recommendation of acceptance is offered, list any remedial plan planned for the applicant and send the form to the SLI Chair along with the application. The Department chair will review the recommendations and if in agreement will approve the applicant as a conditional admission. Those students will be conditionally accepted and will be allowed to take two courses initially, will need to score B or above in each course to stay in the program. This will align Dubai admission conditions with those of the UAE Ministry of Higher Education.
- Upon the completion of the first class in the SLI program RIT Dubai students with difficulties in their ability to read and or write in English will be referred to the Dubai English language center. If the students writing skills are not adequate the students will enroll in remediation classes within the Dubai English language center to enhance their ability to write in English. The Dubai English language center will arrange testing to determine if the student has made acceptable progress in writing to be a successful student within the SLI program. When this happens the English language Center will “graduate the student from the Center” and send an endorsement the students ability to communicate in writing to RIT SLI program.
GPA Admission Requirements
- The GPA entrance requirements into the SLI Program are 3.0 or higher out of a 4.0 GPA. Exceptions to the 3.0 GPA or higher may include the following;
- Students with a 2.8 GPA out of a 4.0 GPA may be conditionally admitted into the SLI program if they have their BS degree and worked for at least three years after their BS graduation. These conditional accept students will be allowed to take the first class within the SLI program and must achieve a grade of a B or higher and a recommendation from the faculty member teaching the class of the students ability to remain in the program and be successful. If the student meets this requirement they will be matriculated into the program. These students must maintain a B average or higher to remain in the program. If the student does not show potential and/or earn a B there will be no debate and appeal as to the decision.
- *** An exception to the GPA of at least a 2.8 may be made under the following circumstances;
If RIT Dubai supports the acceptance of those applicants whom their GPA is between 2.5 and 3, then RIT Dubai will complete the justification/recommendation form that explains why the recommendation of acceptance is offered, list any remedial plan planned for the applicant and send the form to the SLI Chair along with the application. The Department chair will review the recommendations and if in agreement will approve the applicant as a conditional admission. Those students will be conditionally accepted and will be allowed to take two courses initially, will need to score B or above in each course to stay