Get an Insider's View of our IT organization
Paychex, Inc. is a leading national provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing, payroll tax administration, and employee pay services. Human resource and benefits outsourcing services include 401(k) plan recordkeeping, workers' compensation administration, section 125 plans, a professional employer organization, and other administrative services for business. Paychex was founded in 1971. With headquarters in Rochester, New York, the company has more than 100 offices and serves approximately 572,000 payroll clients nationwide.
Role of IT
The Paychex Information Technology organization provides the technology foundation that supports the company and its Sales and Operations functions. Paychex product offerings are largely based on information - capturing, calculating, reporting, packaging and electronically exchanging information - hence, the IT department designs, develops and tests most of the software needed to support these products. IT also operates two state-of-the-art Data Centers in the Rochester area and manages all systems and networks that support the company's processing. In addition, the IT organization monitors and tunes system performance and capacity, manages security, and handles problems and incidents that are received by our service desks. The Information Technology group consists of over 800 employees, mostly based in Rochester, NY. Paychex, which was named to Computerworld's "100 Best Places to Work in IT" for the fourth consecutive year in 2008 and to Fortune's "100 Best Companies to Work For" in 2008 as well, has employment opportunities in the following IT areas:
- Technology Research and Planning - researches new and innovative technology that can be applied to solve business problems or to provide new product and market opportunities. This group is also responsible for strategic planning aimed at technology introduction and obsolescence and capacity planning to address growth in clients, employees and new products.
- Information Security - manages security incidents, conducts vulnerability assessments, provides security awareness training and monitors adherence to security policies and standards. Information Security also manages requests for information access.
- Program Office - provides project management, requirements definition and data analysis for all Enterprise Application and Technology Infrastructure projects. This group also maintains the project portfolio, standard project management processes and enterprise resource consumption and availability information.
- Development - is responsible for the design, development, testing and ongoing maintenance of Paychex software applications and databases.
- Operations - manages the company's networks, systems, data centers and telephone systems. It is also responsible for asset and contract management, systems and LAN administration, and business continuity planning.
- Support - provides first and second level resolution support, problem management and incident communication. Support also manages service level requirements, provides root cause analysis and manages the release of changes into the production environment.