RIT Alert! is an emergency notification system that sends messages in the event of potentially dangerous situations on campus using:
- Instant message (AIM, MSN, Yahoo!)
- Text message (mobile)
- Voice message (mobile or land-line)
- Alertus beacon activation
- Alertus desktop alert activation
Make sure your contact information is in the system so you receive texts and instant messages.
- FACULTY/STAFF Instructions for adding/updating contact info for emergency notifications
- STUDENT Instructions for adding/updating contact information for emergency notifications
Why would I not receive these messages?
- If you have "opted-out" of the notifications
- If you are not a currently registered student or an active RIT employee at the time of notification
- If the information provided in Oracle or the myRIT portal is not accurate or up to date
- Issues with your mobile device service provider
- Your IM service tool privacy settings may need to be modified
Kinds of messages that will be sent:
Not every emergency can be anticipated, however, RIT has developed some emergency messages that can be modified easily for use in a number of situations. This will allow notifications to be sent quickly. The messages are deliberately short (160 characters or less) to accommodate text devices.
How will I know the message is from RIT Alert?
You’ll know the message is from RIT Alert by the message sender:
- For a text message: 89361
- For a phone call: (585) 475-3200
- For an e-mail: RITAlert@rit.edu
- For an IM: (update your privacy settings in your IM tool to receive messages from these senders)
Opting Out of Cell Phone Messages
If a student, faculty or staff member does not want to receive messages (text, voice, IM), (s)he must positively indicate this in either the myRIT portal (students) or Oracle Human Resources Self-Service (faculty/staff). By opting out, the student, faculty or staff member's cell phone and IM information will not be sent to the EMNS. Therefore, no emergency messages will be received by persons who opt out. If the opt-out is not used, any data in the system of record will be used for emergency notifications by the EMNS
Contact information collected by the Business Continuity Office is for use in the EMNS only. The Business Continuity Office will not use this Information for any other purpose than emergency notification. See RIT Policy D15.0, Educational Records.
This service is designed to alert individual participants when an emergency occurs requiring RIT community attention or action. It is critical that participants:
- DO input their information completely and accurately
- DO update their information when it changes
- DO NOT input false contact information
- DO NOT input others' contact information
Costs of Service
RIT Alert! is provided free of charge to active RIT staff, faculty and students. There is no cost associated with participation in the service. However, participants are responsible for charges made by service providers related to text messages and mobile phone calls - actual and test messages.
RIT Alert! will be tested annually (at minimum) in conjunction with with other communication methods. Additional testing may be conducted as part of drills and exercises, or as necessary.
Violations or More Information