Segment Value Listings
The general ledger accounting number, stored in an accounting flexfield in the Oracle database, is comprised of twenty-four digits, and six segments as listed below. To see a report listing the values for each segment, click on the segment name and login using your Oracle userid and password.
If you encounter difficulty exporting this data to Excel, click here for assistance.
If you have questions regarding this information, or any other questions regarding the Chart of Accounts, send an e-mail message to Accounting at email@example.com or call (585) 475-2237.
The account number has 24 numeric characters and is structured as follows:
|05||RIT - Endowment|
|06||RIT Venture Fund|
|19||RIT Inn & Conference Center, LLC|
|24||RIT Campus Club|
|30||RIT Croatia (USA)|
|31||RIT Croatia (Croatia)|
|40||RIT Global Delivery Corporation|
|70||Center for Media, Arts, Games, Innovation & Creativity (MAGIC)|
- Two digit numeric segment
- Five digit numeric segment; segment values must be greater than 00000
- Grant & Contract Principal Investigators have been assigned a unique department number within their base department (XXX50-XXX59). For example, all grants/contracts for PI number one in department 67900, will be assigned to department 67950. PI number 2's grants/contracts will be assigned to department 67951 etc.
- Five digit numeric segment
- The object code segment values can be expanded to give departments more flexibility. For example the base number for office supplies is 73150. The office supply object code was expanded by adding digits 1through 9 to the end of the object code. (73151-office supplies-A, 73152-office supplies-B, etc.). The other income object code 59000 has also been expanded (59001-other income-group A, 59002-other income-group B). This is not an automatic process. Please contact Accounting (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request that a particular object code be expanded.
Object code types:
Type Object Code Assets 00001-29999 Liabilities 30000-39999 Revenue 50000-69999 Expenses 70000-99999
Certain Projects may only use certain revenue or expense object codes:
Type Object Code Gifts Credit 54100-54299, Gift Revenue Object Codes Scholarships Debit 82000-82011 Student Scholarship & Tuition Remission Object Codes Grants Credit 52000-52150, Appropriation Revenue Object Codes Special Projects & Designated Funds May not use Permanently Restricted Revenue Object Codes Endowment Earning Accounts Credit 57350, Endowment Distribution Revenue Object Code
- Only the Accounting or Budget Department is allowed to process journal entries using Transfer (63000-63199) and Capital Equipment (16200-16250) object codes. If you require that a journal entry be processed using one of these object codes, please send a memo to the appropriate department requesting the entry.
Functional Expense Category (FEC)
- Two digit numeric segment used to track Revenue & Expense by functional Category.
- Assets & Liabilities (object codes 00001-39999): FEC = 00
- Revenue & Expenses (object codes 50000-99999): FEC > 00
- Agency Project's (90000-99999): FEC = 00
- Tuition accounts, (object codes 50000-50910): FEC 10 - Instruction
- The FEC for each department's operating account is defined in the system. For example, if the department's function is "Instruction", the FEC is 10. If any FEC other than 10 is entered, an error message will display on the screen.
- Scholarship projects, (projects 20000-24999, 60000-69999): FEC 10 - Instruction
- Auxiliary Departments: FEC 40
- The only accounts that should be using the 30 FEC are those departments or projects whose function is "Student Services"
- The 80-89 FEC range is for Non-Operating revenue and expense transactions.
|60||Operation & Maintenance|
|80||Non-Oper Investment Return|
|81||Non-Oper Net Assets Released from Restrictions|
|82||Gifts for Long Term Assets|
|83||Government Grants & Contracts for Long-Term Assets|
|84||Postretirement Benefit Expense|
|85||Beneficiary Payments & Change in Value of Deferred Giving Arrangements|
|86||Changes in Value of Interest Rate Swap Agreement|
|88||Plant Equipment Clearing Account|
- Five digit numeric segment
Project Name Range Operating 00000-09999 NTID Fed. Funded Oper. Projects 01999-02020 NTID Non-Fed. Funded Oper. Projects 03009-03020 Special Projects 10000-14999 Designated Funds 15000-19999 Scholarship Gifts 20000-24999 Other Gifts 25000-27999 Plant Gifts 28000-29999 Federal Grants 30000-31899 ARRA / RGH Grants 31900-31999 CIMS Federal Grants 32000-32999 State Grants 33000-34999 CIMS State Grants 35000-35999 Private Grants 36000-38999 CIMS Private Grants 39000-39999 Loan Projects 40000-49999 Endowment Projects 50000-59999 Scholarship Endowment Earning Projects 60000-69999 Other Endowment Earning Projects 70000-79999 Plant Projects 80000-89999 Agency / Student Organization Projects 90000-99999 Grant Sub-Projects A0000-B9999 Grant Cost Share Projects C0000-C9999 Grant Sub-Projects D0000-J9999 Participant Support Projects P0000-P9999
- Capital equipment accounts: project number of 84200.
- There are two unique project number ranges used to represent NTID’s Operating accounts – the NTID Federally Funded Operating project range, 01999-020XX, and the NTID Non-Federally Funded Operating project range, 03009-030XX. The last two digits of these project numbers change annually at the beginning of NTID's fiscal year (October 1 – September 30). These projects are used to track NTID expenditures by fiscal year. Each year the project number changes on October 1st to coincide with the new fiscal year (i.e., FY 2009 – Project 02009 and Project 03009). For more information about accounting for Federal and Non-Federal Funds, refer to the information on the Controller's Office web page.
Cross-validation rules have been set up in the ledger to ensure that only valid/allowable combinations can be set up. This ensures the accuracy of the University’s external financial reporting. If a cross-validation rule is violated, an online error message will appear on the user's tool bar and the user will not be able to complete the transaction until the error has been corrected. If you encounter this type of error, call Accounting at (585) 475-2237 for assistance.