The worksheets are used to calculate summer salary payments for faculty members who are working on externally funded grants and contracts during the 2014 summer quarter. There are two forms available: one to process payments for one month only (June, July, or August) and a second version to process payments for effort throughout the entire summer session. The worksheets will automatically calculate the payment amount based on the faculty member's 9.5-month salary for the 2013-14 academic year, the percentage of effort, and the period of time the work will be performed.
- Choose the appropriate worksheet based on the period of time the work will be performed:
- Demographic Information - Complete the demographic information.
- 2013-14 AY 9.5-mo. represents the 9.5-month salary for the 2013-14 academic year.
- One-Month Worksheet - Choose the appropriate month (June, July, or August) when the faculty member is working. (For effort that does not change throughout the summer, choose the 2014 Summer Salary Charged to Grants and Contracts Worksheet/EAF - Full Summer and skip to step 4.)
- Faculty members working in the month of June or July are eligible to receive a maximum of 40% of the full summer salary amount for each month.
- Faculty members working in the month of August are eligible to receive a maximum of 20% of the full summer salary amount.
- The worksheet will calculate the correct Monthly % Effort based on the month selected.
- % of Effort - Complete the percentage of effort to be allocated to each sponsored project and/or departmental account.
- Calculated Contract Amount - This represents the payment amount to be allocated to the specific sponsored project or departmental account. This will be the amount you will enter in the Oracle RIT Employee/Adjunct Payment Entry System.
- Oracle Acct # - Complete the Oracle account number for the sponsored project or departmental account with allocated effort. The Online Payment System cross-validates account numbers, so it is important the information is accurate prior to entering online.
- Total Effort* - The total effort should equal 100% if the faculty member will be working for the entire effective period. The Total Effort calculation cannot exceed 100%.
- Total Contract Amount - This is the amount the faculty member will receive equally distributed among the pay periods encompassed within the effective dates. For example, a faculty member working in the month of June only will receive the amount calculated under Total Month Contract Amount over two (2) pay periods June 15 and June 30. A faculty member working the entire summer will receive the amount calculated under Total Summer Contract Amount over fivepay periods (June 15, June 30, July 15, July 31, and August 15).
Here are some additional points to keep in mind as you process summer salary payments:
- NSF Sponsored Projects - If the faculty member will expend 100% of his/her entire summer effort on an NSF-funded award (s), please complete the 2014 Summer Salary Charged to Grants and Contracts Worksheet/EAF - Full Summer (NSF Awards Only). This form will limit the summer salary payment to 21.05% of the faculty member's 9.5 month salary for the 2013-2014 academic year compliant with the NSF Salary Policy.
- Additional Effort Distributions - There are 4 payment line options available for each month. Please use any combination of these for the full session. If you still need additional lines, you must complete paper forms, obtain approvals, and submit to HR. The total combined effort cannot exceed 100% for the effective time period.
- Comments to Approver - In the 'Comments to Approver' box in Oracle's RIT Employee/Adjunct Payment Entry System, please include the project number (s) and the percentage effort for each as a descriptive note. This information will assist the PI and SPA rep with the approval process.
- Leave of Absence - If the faculty member was on leave of absence during the 2013-2014 academic year at a reduced salary, the Online Payment System will not be able to validate that the summer salary payment(s) does not exceed the appropriate caps. In these cases, you can use a paper version of the 2014 Summer Salary Charged to Grants and Contracts Worksheet/EAF.
- Appointments Other Than 9.5 Months - To process summer salary for faculty members with an academic year appointment other than 9.5-months, please contact your SPA representative for assistance. (Faculty members with 12-month academic year appointments are not eligible for summer salary.)
- Cannot Process Summer Salary Payment Online - If you and your SPA rep determine that a paper SPA 2014 Summer Salary Charged to Grants and Contracts Worksheet/EAF is needed (e.g. to process late payments), please collect principal investigator (s) signatures on the worksheet, indicate preparer's name and extension, and forward to SPA for approval. SPA will forward to HR for processing.
If you require any assistance with the summer salary process, please contact your SPA representative or Kathi Lynch, PI Mentor Training Specialist at email@example.com, x 5-2957. For SPA Rep departmental assignments, please refer to the Sponsored Programs Accounting website