RIT Dining Services recognizes and embraces our diverse community of customers, all with different dining preferences and needs. To accommodate special dietary restrictions/preferences and support healthy eating on campus, we offer a wide selection of healthy foods and foods for those with dietary restrictions in all of our dining locations. In addition, our custom nutritional labels, Smart Seals, and NetNutrition web tool assists you in selecting menu items and meals right for you.
We offer all of the below special dietary foods and menus throughout many of our dining locations.
- Low sodium
View our side-by-side comparison chart and international dining options page for a full list of dining locations that offer the above - and look for our Smart Seals to easily identify dietary preferences and restrictions!
All RIT dining locations offer a variety of fresh and healthy food options that accommodate and support healthy living on campus. In addition, our skilled staff incorporates a wide range of healthy preparation, production, and cooking techniques that substitute unhealthier food items with healthier options. Healthy options available in all dining locations are listed below. If you're interested in healthy eating at home, try some of our printable SmartNutrition recipes.
- When available, we use fresh produce supplied by local regional farmers and the RIT Community Garden. TIP: Not sure which of your favorite NYS fruits and veggies are available and in season? Use this handy chart of harvest times from the Pride of New York!
- Vegetarian entrees and soups using tofu, meat substitutes, grains, legumes, and/or all vegetables
- Whole grain and wheat pasta
- Whole grain and low carbohydrate bread
- Rice, soy, and almond milk
- Lactaid 100% lactose-free, non-fat milk
- Light dressing alternatives
- Greek and low fat yogurt
- 97% fat free turkey
- Egg whites
- Low fat and fat-free dairy products
- Stir fry options grilled to order using healthy alternatives (water, olive pomace oil)
- Canola, olive oil, and zero trans fat blended oils
- Trans fat-free oil for frying
Our friendly and knowledgeable managers are more than happy to assist you in selecting and finding foods that fit your dietary needs and preferences. Simply ask for a manager at any of our dining locations or contact them using our staff directory and he/she will guide you through your dining selections!
For further assistance related to special dietary needs, healthy options, nutritional information, and food allergens, visit the Ask Our Dietitian page or contact our registered dietician, Mary Anne McQuay at email@example.com directly.
HealthIER Dining On Campus
Each dining location on campus offers healthy food options that are available on a daily basis. The following is a list of healthier options that you can find at The Café & Market at Crossroads, Global Village Cantina and Grille, and The Market at Global Village.
HealthIER Options at Salsarita’s
- Vegetarian burrito on a whole wheat wrap *
- Salads without taco shell bowl *
- Burrito bowls *
*NOTE: While these options meet the healthy criteria for calories and fat, they contain high amounts of sodium. RIT Dining Services is currently working to help to lower the sodium content.
Tips for Eating HealthIER at Salsarita’s
- Avoid fatty meats, cheeses, cheese sauce, and sour cream.
- Choose rice, beans, leaner meat choices, vegetables, and salsas.
Tips for Eating HealthIER at the Global Grille
- Try the Global Grille when they are serving stir-fry entrees, and load up on vegetables and lean meats.
- Avoid high calorie sauces and oils.
The GV Market offers a number of healthIER food selections, as well as a large selection of foods that meet special dietary needs. Listed below are just some of the healthier options at the GV Market.
- Fresh fruit
- Laughing Cow Cheese Spread
- Sabra Hummus and Pretzel Packs
- Chobani Yogurt
- Skim milk
- Instant rice noodle soups
- Rockin’ Moroccan Couscous
- Garden and salmon burgers
- Fresh meats
- Deli meat
- Ready Pac Bistro Salad
- Ready Pac Pineapple & Grapes
- Brown rice
- Pad Thai (Thai Kitchen)
- Barilla Whole Grain Pasta Bowls
- Frozen vegetables (stir fry mix, broccoli, corn, garden blend)
- Kashi Whole Grain Waffles
- Frozen salmon
- Fat free dressings
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- Fresh eggs
- Patel’s Instant Dinners
- Storehouse Foods Pouch 2 Plate
- Kashi Cereal
- Kashi Frozen Dinners
- Amy’s Frozen Dinners and Pizzas
Tips for Eating HealthIER at the GV Market
Check out the price labels in each aisle and look for gluten-free (GF), dairy-free (DF), and other symbols designating healthier food options!
HealthIER Breakfast Items
- Whole grain bagel (whole grains are healthier than refined white refined grains)
- Low fat cream cheese
- Fruit cup (low calorie, high nutrient choice!)
- Parfait cup (good combination of fruit, protein, & grains in one cup!)
HealthIER Grill Items
- Grilled chicken sandwich (without cheese)
- Black bean burger
- Veggie burger
Tips for Eating HealthIER at the Grill
- Try a plain baked potato instead of french fries.
- Limit cheeses.
- Avoid high calorie condiments (ex. dressings, mayonnaise), and try mustard instead.
HealthIER Sub/Wrap Bar Items
- 100% whole wheat breads
- Fresh vegetables
- Low-fat deli meats (e.g. turkey breast, ham)
Tips for Eating HealthIER at the Salad Bar
- Build a salad loaded with vegetables.
- Choose lean, low fat meats (e.g. chicken breast)
- Avoid too much cheese, high fat and creamy dressings, croutons, high fat or fried meats.
HealthIER To-Go Items
- Fresh fruit cups
- Fresh sushi
- Chef provolone salad
- Hard boiled eggs
- Pasta salad
- Snack packs (variety of crackers, cheese, hummus, vegetables)
Tips for Eating HealthIER To Go
Always check labels. The Healthy Option Smart Seal on labels signifies healthy foods that are ≤ 600 calories, ≤ 20 g total fat, ≤ 8 g saturated fat, and ≤ 800 mg sodium.
- 100 calorie cottage cheese packs
- String cheese
- Turkey bacon
- Dole Frozen Fruit
- Buttercrust 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- Activia Yogurt
- Skim milk
- Turkey breast sandwich meat
- Veggie burgers
- Laughing Cow Cheese
- Chobani Greek Yogurt
- Silk® milk
- Sundia Fruit Cups
Need a quick meal?
- Annie Chun Express Brown Rice
- Barilla Whole Grain Pasta Bowl
- Healthy Choice Entrées
- Lean Pockets
- Steamables Vegetables