Use of Personal Vehicles on Institute Business

According to RIT's travel policy, RIT advises the use of your personal automobile only if the itinerary or other aspects of Institute business make it the most practical method of travel. A personal vehicle is recommended for local travel within a radius of approximately 100 miles from RIT. Mileage reimbursement should be claimed by the employee for such use.

RIT maintains a fleet of vans for Institute use and RIT's Transportation Dept. can make arrangements with commercial transportation vendors when travel involves a group of RIT employees and/or students. Only approved charter companies should be hired.  RIT encourages faculty/staff to utilize these services whenever practical for the nature of the travel.

Insurance Coverage Issues

When it becomes necessary (with department's approval), for a RIT employee to use his/her own car for RIT business travel, the employee's personal auto insurance policy is the primary insurance coverage. In the event of an accident, this insurance should respond to bodily injury or property damage claims made by third parties. It may also cover the physical damage to the employee's car if the employee has elected to maintain that type of coverage. Any deductibles become the responsibility of the employee.

RIT maintains a business auto liability policy that provides excess liability coverage for third party claims arising out of business travel. This coverage is triggered after limits are exhausted under the employee's personal auto insurance policy. RIT's auto insurance policy is not intended to cover damage to the employee's personal auto nor will RIT pay for the employee's deductible expense incurred as a result of the accident.

In the event of an accident involving the use of an employee's personal vehicle on Institute business, please report this accident to your supervisor and the Risk Management Office as soon as possible, x5-6135.