Enrollment is fully voluntary for all students except certain international students.
RIT requires all students to have adequate medical insurance. This requirement enables access to health care when medical emergencies arise that require services provided outside of RIT's Student Health Center.
If a student does not have coverage, this requirement may be satisfied by enrolling in RIT's Basic Accident & Sickness coverage underwritten by Aetna Life Insurance Company.
ALL international undergraduate and graduate students (full and part-time) on A, B, E, F, G, I, J, K, O, Q, R and V visa's will be automatically enrolled in the Basic Accident and Sickness policy each term, based on registration status.
This plan is voluntary for all other students. To enroll, follow the directions below.
To obtain coverage, enroll in the plan through the insurance plan administrator. The student must be a registered RIT student to enroll in this plan.
- Students Graduating in 2012 who are currently enrolled in the 2011-12 plan can purchase continuation coverage by calling University Health Plans at (800) 437-6448 prior to August 15, 2012 or before your policy termination date if earlier.
- Returning Students who desire coverage in the RIT offered Student Accident & Sickness Plan for 2012-13 will need to take action to enroll through University Health Plans, Inc. no later than September 30, 2012.
- New RIT Students who desire coverage in the RIT offered Student Accident & Sickness Plan for 2012-13 will need to take action to enroll through University Health Plans, Inc. no later than September 30, 2012.
- Registered A, B, E, F, G, I, J, K, O, Q, R and V visa International Students will automatically be enrolled in this plan each term.
How to Enroll
You can enroll online or by mail. Payment can be by credit card, check, money order or the premium can be added to your student account. The plan brochure and enrollment information is available at http://universityhealthplans.com.
Basic Plan Information
- The student accident & sickness plan will be administered by Aetna Life Insurance Co.
- The annual premium will be $1100. The semi-annual international student rate will be $550.
- Spouse and dependent coverage will be available for any RIT student enrolled in the plan.
- An optional Enhanced Supplemental Benefit is available.
- The plan provides coverage (subject to the terms, conditions and limits specified in the policy) for sickness and injury, outpatient services, emergency care, prescriptions, vision benefits and travel assistance services.
RIT requires all registered students to maintain medical insurance.