- Leaving for Break?
- Preparing Your Room for a Roommate
- Failing to Prepare Your Room for a Roommate
- Not Returning for Winter Term
- RIT Inn Check-Out
- Reminder of Termination Policy
- Housing Selection 2013
- Summer Housing
- Prepare the room for a new roommate if your roommate is moving out or already moved out by November 18.
- Empty trash cans.
- Close and lock windows.
- Clean out refrigerator, if applicable.
- Close shades (students living on the first floor only).
- Lock your room door.
- Move all electronic equipment off the floor and unplug it.
- Set your heater to automatic and set room temperature to at least 65 degrees. Do not remove HVAC covers or turn off the valves to the HVAC unit.
If your roommate is moving out or already moved out, you will be assigned a new roommate for winter term. You are responsible for preparing the room to accommodate your new roommate and creating a welcoming environment.
Remove all of your items from the vacated area of the room by Sunday, November 18, even if you are remaining in the room during the break. Even if you and your roommate for fall agreed that some of your things could be in his/her area, you need to move them to your area of the room and re-negotiate that with your new roommate. The vacated area of the room should look like it did when you moved in at the beginning of fall term.
NOTHING should be in the vacated area of the room – nothing in or on the desk, bed, chair, wall, or floor. Leave one-half of the dresser and the closet empty.
RIT Inn staff will enter the room to inspect for damages, assess your preparation for a new roommate, and to possibly perform maintenance. In addition, the vacated area will be cleaned. If you fail to prepare your room for a new roommate:
- You student account will be immediately charged a double-as-a-single room rate.
- You may be reassigned to another room.
- Your privilege to participate in the Housing Selection Renewal Process may be revoked.
Students not returning for winter term must return their room key card to the front desk of the RIT Inn and have all their belongings removed by Sunday, November 18 at 10:00 a.m. Refer to the RIT Inn Check-Out section for instructions on how to properly check-out of your room.
Students needing a later check-out time or date must contact Joanne Lindsey, RIT Housing Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 9. Students who remain in the RIT Inn beyond Sunday, November 18 without permission from Joanne Lindsey will be charged $100 per day every day beyond November 18, 2012.
- Resolve who is responsible for damage in the room prior to leaving and inform an RIT Inn staff member at the front desk. If you don’t settle the matter before you go, the damage will be split equally between you and your roommate.
- Remove all of your items from the room and make the space ready for a new resident. See the Preparing Your Room for a Roommate section.
- Return your mailbox key. Mailbox keys can be returned 24/7 at the front desk of the RIT Inn or via the key slot located in the mailroom.
- Fill out and submit an online forwarding address form. Be sure to use your middle name or initial on your forwarding address form.
- Complete a key return envelope available at the front desk at the RIT Inn. Place your room key card in the envelope, fill out the form on the front, and submit the envelope to the front desk at the RIT Inn.
If you remain a registered student and move to non-RIT housing (this includes your parent/guardian’s home), you will be charged a termination fee for breaking your 2012–2013 academic year housing contract. The termination fee is one half of your quarterly rent.
Housing Selection 2013 is the process in which you will participate to obtain housing for the 2013–2014 academic year. Housing Selection information will be sent to you in November and is available online.
Storage is not permitted in any RIT housing area. You are responsible for removing all of your items from RIT housing when you check-out and vacate the space. You may not leave any of items behind for current or new roommates to use or watch over.
Start making plans for summer storage now. There are several storage companies in the area that work with RIT students. For more information, please contact RIT Housing Operations at (585) 475-2572 or email@example.com.
Remember that your current housing contract ends on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. If you are interested in RIT summer housing, you will need to apply for it early spring term. Summer housing information will be avaiable in March. Summer housing is available in the residence halls and some RIT apartments, Global Village, and UC suites. Summer housing is not available at the RIT Inn.