- Leaving for Break?
- Preparing Your Room for a Roommate
- Failing to Prepare Your Room for a Roommate
- Not Returning for Spring Term
- Residence Hall Check-Out
- Reminder of Termination Policy
- Preparing for the End of the Year
- Summer Housing
- Prepare the room for a new roommate(s) if your roommate(s) is moving out or already moved out by February 24.
- Empty trash cans.
- Close and lock windows.
- Clean out refrigerator, if applicable.
- Close shades (students living on the first floor only).
- Lock your room door.
- Move all electronic equipment off the floor and unplug it.
- Set your heater to automatic and set room temperature to at least 65 degrees. Do not remove HVAC covers or turn off the valves to the HVAC unit.
Preparing Your Room for a Roommate
If your roommate(s) is moving out or already moved out, you will be assigned a new roommate(s) for spring term. You are responsible for preparing the room to accommodate your new roommate(s) and creating a welcoming environment.
Remove all of your items from the vacated area of the room by Sunday, February 24, even if you are remaining in the room during the break. Even if you and your roommate(s) for winter agreed that some of your things could be in his/her area, you need to move them to your area of the room and re-negotiate that with your new roommate(s). The vacated area of the room should look like it did when you moved in at the beginning of the term.
NOTHING should be in the vacated area of the room – nothing in or on the closet/wardrobe, dresser, filing cabinet, desk, bed, chair, walls, and floor.
RIT Housing Operations and Residence Life staff will enter the room to inspect for damages, assess your preparation for a new roommate(s), and to possibly perform maintenance. In addition, the vacated area will be cleaned. If you fail to prepare your room for a roommate(s):
- You student account will be immediately charged a double-as-a-single room rate.
- You may be reassigned to another room.
- Your privilege to participate in Housing Selection may be revoked.
Students not returning for spring term must return their room key to RIT Housing Operations and have all their belongings removed by Sunday, February 24 at 10:00 a.m. Refer to the Residence Hall Check-Out section for instructions on how to properly check-out of your room.
Students needing a later check-out time or date must contact Joanne Lindsey, RIT Housing Operations, at email@example.com by Friday, February 15. Students who remain in the residence halls beyond Sunday, February 24 without permission from Joanne Lindsey will be charged $100 per day every day beyond February 24, 2013.
- Bunk your bed and put your desk under the bed.
- Resolve who is responsible for damage in the room prior to leaving and inform your Residence Coordinator. If you don’t settle the matter before you go, the damage will be split equally between you and your roommate(s).
- Remove all of your items from the room and make the space ready for a new resident. See the Preparing Your Room for a Roommate section.
- Return your mailbox key. Mailbox keys can be returned to the post office in Nathaniel Rochester Hall (NRH) during normal business hours or 24/7 using the key express slot outside of the office.
- Fill out and submit an online forwarding address form. Be sure to use your middle name or initial on your forwarding address form.
- Complete a key return envelope available at RIT Housing Operations located in Grace Watson Hall (GWH). Place your room key in the envelope, fill out the form on the front, and submit the envelope to the RIT Housing Operations office. Key can be returned 24/7 using the drop box next to the main office door.
If you remain a registered student and move to non-RIT housing (this includes your parent/guardian’s home), you will be charged a termination fee for breaking your 2012–2013 academic year housing contract. The termination fee is one half of your quarterly rent.
Your current contract ends on May 18 at 10:00 a.m. Please start making arrangements now for the items below in order to be prepared to be completely moved out of your room by 10:00 a.m. on May 18.
Please make transportation arrangements that coincide with the move-out date and time.
Make arrangements with Time Warner to return your cable box, if applicable.
Make arrangements for off-campus storage. Storage is not allowed in RIT housing. You may not leave belongings with a roommate or friend who may be staying in RIT housing for the summer to use, store, or watch over. All your belongings must be taken off-campus. Three popular local storage companies are Simply Storage, U-Haul U-Box, and Uncle Bob's Storage.
Resolve who is responsible for paying for any damage in your room.
Schedule time to remove all trash and unwanted items, vacuum, and wipe down the furniture and shelves before you leave.
Complete a key return envelope available at Housing Operations located in Grace Watson Hall. Place your key in the envelope when it is completed; submit the envelope 24/7 to Housing Operations via the drop box next to the front door. Keys mailed to Housing Operations after move-out will NOT be accepted.
Return your mailbox key to the NRH post office and complete a forwarding-address card available at the post office or online.
Remember that your current housing contract ends Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. If you are interested in RIT summer housing, you will need to apply for it early spring term. Summer housing information will be available in March. Summer housing is available in the residence halls and some RIT apartments, Global Village, and UC suites. Summer housing is not available at the RIT Inn.