Faculty Hire Process Steps:
This section relates to all faculty hires, including internal hires that involve a change in PC number.
Please see detailed Office of Faculty Recruitment search processes at: https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/facultyrecruitment/faculty_search.php
All external hires or internal hires (current employees moving to a new PC number), must be hired off of a Career Zone Requisition at http://careers.rit.edu/managers . Please refer to the FULL Career Zone Requisition and Applicant Management User Guide for instructions using the Career Zone system.
Special instructions on Offering/Hiring of Foreign Nationals Procedures and Resources
Also Refer to references:
- Dispositioning Instructions (updating applicant statuses) in Career Zone
- Full Career Zone Requisition and Applicant Management User Guide
- Office of Faculty Recruitment Website
- Salary Offer Guidelines
- Position Control Procedures
- Quick Start Reference Guide for Common HR Administrative Transactions
FOR SECURITY PURPOSES, some completed candidate forms (such as online Hire EAF and Pre-offer approval forms) in Career Zone are only viewable by the form initiator (person who completes the form) .
Prior to creating a requisition, the Hiring Manager/ Department Chair should work with their HRSM to review market data for the discipline by rank and internal equity (pay position of others in department). The Hiring Manager/Search Committee Chair should work with their college liaison on the faculty search and hiring processes.
Replacement positions: create a Career Zone Requisition online at http://careers.rit.edu/managers
Incremental (NEW) positions- create a paper requisition form and send to your HRSM.
Requisition Form-Faculty and Staff - NON-Grant/Contract Funded (used for new, incremental positions only.)
Requisition Form-Faculty and Staff - Grant/Contract Funded (used for new, incremental positions only.)
The Hiring Manager/Department Chair should indicate any potential deviations from the position budget on the requisition (position budget can be found in Manager Self –Service Open and Filled Positions report).
How to create a direct link URL to your job posting:
Just enter your BR number at the end of the URL.
Applicant Review Phase
Follow the Faculty Search Process Checklist. The hiring manager/search committee chair (or their designee) should move the applicants through the various stages of review by changing their Applicant Statuses (such as from 01-pending to 05-screening to Interview, etc.) Moving all applicants through each applicable status is critical to providing necessary data for leadership, affirmative action, and other required reporting.
As soon as an applicant is deemed to NOT meet the minimum required qualifications, they should be changed to "65-Application No Longer Being Considered" and a disposition from completed.
- To begin the hiring process, change the applicant status to 45-Pre-Offer Process. The external status visible to the candidate will still show “Interview”. When you change the status to 45-Pre-Offer Process a Faculty Pre-Offer Approval form will pop up. If the form does not pop-up, you can access it by going to the candidate results panel for your requisition, selecting your applicant and either clicking on the FORMS icon next to their name OR going to Actions-Add Form.
- Complete the form with information on your primary candidate and two alternate candidates and ‘Save’.
- Print the form (It helps with print formatting to save first).
- Gather the necessary paper documents and route inter-office to the appropriate approvers for your business unit.
- For security purposes, the pre-offer approval form is ONLY visible on the portal to the person who created the form and not to other members of the requisition team.
- If at any time you would like to view your form, you can click on the hyperlinked form name.
- Route the paper packet to the applicable approvers listed for ‘ink’ signatures. It is best to expedite this by hand delivering.
If assistance is needed with the salary offer amount, please consult your HR Services Manager.
- Once the pre-offer approval form is fully approved, you can THEN make a verbal offer to the candidate and change the applicant status to: 45-OFFER EXTENDED.
- Once the verbal offer is accepted, you should create the Faculty Offer Letter by utilizing one of the following templates:
- Receive back a signed copy of the offer letter.
- Once the candidate has formally accepted the offer, change the status of the applicant to 55-Candidate Accepted Offer
- When you are ready to complete the New Hire EAF, you should change the applicant status to 55- HIRE EAF.
Processing the Faculty New Hire Employee Action Form (EAF)
- A Faculty Hire EAF should pop up when you change the candidate's status to 55-HIRE EAF (if it does not pop-up, you can access the form by going to the candidate results panel for your requisition, selecting your applicant and either clicking on the FORMS icon next to their name OR going to Actions-Add Form).
- Route for approval based upon the requirements of the university and your business unit. Each EAF must have at least two approvals from the department. Levels that are not required by your unit can be bypassed.
- Once the form is fully approved, the role or person indicated to be notified upon approval will receive an email.
- If anyone in the approval chain is holding up the approval process, you may contact them or their designate. If they are on vacation, an email from them or someone acting on their behalf must contact Office of Faculty Recruitment or Human Resources about bypassing their approval and approving the form on their behalf. Whoever approves the form on their behalf will show as the approver on the form.
- Another notification can be sent by the form creator to the next approver by clicking on the button that says “ROUTE TO NEXT PENDING APPROVER”.
- If you would like to view where in the approval process your form is, you can refresh your forms page and click on the VIEW FORM icon.
- After the electronic EAF is approved, the Office of Faculty Recruitment (OFRR) will change the candidate to: 95-Hire (Integrate to HRIS-HR use only). Be sure to send the Signed Faculty Offer letter to OFRR. OFRR will process and send to HR to be entered into the Oracle HR System.
- You must disposition all remaining candidates in order for the requisition to be changed from Open to Closed.
Closing out your Requisition/Job Opening
It is extremely important that you final disposition any remaining candidates on your requisition after you have processed your hire. This is a university AND Government OFCCP requirement and subject to audit.
This is a two-step process of updating the Applicant Status and providing the reason by completing the Candidate Disposition Form.
Before you disposition, please make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off so that the disposition form can pop up for you to select a reason code.
The recruitment offices will be unable to close your requisition until all of your remaining candidates are dispositioned, so your job will stay in OPEN (but NOT posted) status until this is done. The number in the ACTIVE candidates column of your “MY OPEN REQS” panel, will let you know if you still have candidates remaining.
You may also refer to the following instruction documents on applicant tracking and dispositioning:
- Dispositioning Instructions (updating applicant statuses) in Career Zone
- Dispositioning Powerpoint Presentation
Please email the Office of Faculty Recruitment at OFRR@RIT.EDU once all of your applicants are dispositioned so they can close out your requisition.