Faculty Hire Process Steps
Effective January 6, 2014, Human Resources began supporting the faculty processes related to requisitions, posting, applicant review and updates, pre-offers, offers and hires. Please view the flowchart. Email email@example.com for questions related to these processes. The Office of Faculty Recruitment will handle candidate sourcing and mid-search forms. Please contact Renee Baker, Executive Director of Faculty Recruitment firstname.lastname@example.org 585-475-7169 or Dan Downie, Faculty Recruitment Assistant; email@example.com 585-475-2967 if you have questions about sourcing and mid search review forms and activities.
- Pre-Requisition Phase
- Requisition Phase
- Faculty Recruitment Supporting Forms
- Applicant Review Phase
- Pre-Offer Phase
- Offer Phase
- Processing the New Hire Employee Actin Form
- Closing out your Req
- For additional assistance with the Career Zone system, please refer to the FULL Career Zone Requisition and Applicant Management User Guide.
- Salary Offer Guidelines
- Position Control Procedures
- Quick Start Reference Guide for Common HR Administrative Transactions
Prior to creating a requisition, the Hiring Manager/ Department Chair should work with their HRSM to review market data for the discipline by rank and internal equity (pay position of others in department). The Hiring Manager/Search Committee Chair should work with their college liaison on the faculty search and hiring processes.
Edits to requisitions (after you save) and posting and unposting of requisitions is done by Human Resources. To request an edit or to unpost your requisition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Incremental (New FTE) Requisitions:
- Request a position control (PC) number to use in the Position Combination field of the requisition by using the Position Setup Form
- Once you have your new PC#, the hiring department will need to enter it into a requisition in Career Zone and route the req for approvals
- Once all approvals are obtained, the position will be posted by the recruiter to the RIT Career Site by the Human Resources Recruitment Office.
- The Office of Faculty Recruitment will assist you with sourcing your candidates and determining advertising needs.
Replacement Position Requisitions:
- If your position (PC number) combination does not require a title or organization name change prior to posting simply create the requisition in the Career Zone system and route for approvals electronically.
- If you require changes to the position title or organization name prior to posting:
- You can submit the changes on the online requisition form--indicate changes in the appropriate fields on the requisition.
- HR will review the changes, follow-up with any questions, create a new version of the same PC#, update the in-process requisition and contact the department and any previous approvers with the new position information.
- Once all approvals are obtained, the position will be posted by the recruiter to the RIT Career Site.
- The Office of Faculty Recruitment will assist you with sourcing your candidates and determining advertising needs.
You can begin reviewing your candidates via the Career Zone Manager Portal as soon as they apply.
- Requisition Team: Individuals who you want to have access to reviewing applicants for your opening will need to be added to the requisition team either when the requisition is created; later by performing an update to team members on the requisition, or by contacting email@example.com
HELPFUL HINT: How to create a direct link URL to your job posting on the FACULTY Gateway:
There are several Requisition Subsidiary Forms that should be completed AFTER the requisition is approved. These forms are accessed in Career Zone by searching for your requisition, clicking on the hyperlinked req number and clicking on the forms tab at the top of the screen.
****PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE OF FACULTY RECRUITMENT IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE WITH THESE FORMS****
- The Faculty Recruitment Plan forms (OFR Referrals, Ads, and Outreach) record the search committee efforts to increase the diversity of their applicant pools through advertising, outreach, and what actions were taken with the referrals sent to them from the Office of Faculty Recruitment.
- The Search Committee (SC) Member Composition briefly describes the position and identifies the search committee members and their role as well as the date they attended the required multicultural/bias awareness training. This form gauges the SC composition as it relates to the national availability data. The goal is to have similar representation on the search committees.
Other forms available on the Office of Faculty Recruitment Website:
The Selection Criteria Rating Form (SCRF) is a required form that shows how each applicant was rated against the required qualifications, who made it to the phone and onsite interview stages, and who was hired. This data is critical in compiling the data for analysis and reporting to the provost and others.
The Faculty Recruitment Checklist provides a step-by-step list of all of the actions that must be performed from req creation to hire and are presented using logical workflow grouping and sequencing.
The hiring manager/search committee chair (or their designee who has the Requisition Management and Applicant Review user type) should move the applicants through the various stages of review by changing their Applicant Statuses (such as from 01-pending to 05-screening to Interview, etc.) Moving all applicants through each applicable status is critical to providing feedback to applicants and necessary data for university reporting and affirmative action plans.
After the mid-search review process, if an applicant is deemed to NOT meet the minimum required qualifications, they should be changed to "65-Application No Longer Being Considered". A candidate Disposition Form should pop up to prompt you to select a reason (candidates will not see the specific reason). If it does not pop-up, your pop-up blocker may be on and you will have to add the form for the individual candidates.
Application Updates by Applicants
Due to OFCCP regulations, applicants are not able to update their application or submit additional application documents to a particular job in the CZ system once they have submitted their application. A request for additional documents may be made by the search team to the applicants by using one of the communication templates in the Career Zone system. Search team members or the chair may then upload the applicant document(s) to Career Zone once received.
THESE STEPS SHOULD BE PERFORMED IN THE CAREER ZONE SYSTEM==>To begin the hiring process:
Change the applicant status of your top candidate to 45-Pre-Offer Process. The external status visible to the candidate will still show “Interview”.
A Faculty Pre-Offer Approval form will pop up. If the form does not pop-up, you can access it by going to the candidate results panel for your requisition, selecting your applicant and either clicking on the FORMS icon next to their name OR going to Actions-Add Form.
Complete the form with information on your primary candidate and two alternate candidates and ‘Save’. You do not need to complete a separate form for each of your three finalist candidates. If you need to make an offer to one of our alternates, another pre-offer form is NOT required.
You can obtain the diversity data of your candidates by going to their talent record and clicking on the EEO/Veteran's form or viewing the data in the candidate results panel on your applicant review portal.
- Print the form (Save the form before you print).
- Gather the necessary paper documents and route inter-office to the appropriate approvers for your business unit.
- For security purposes, the pre-offer approval form is ONLY visible on the portal to the person who created the form and not to other members of the requisition team.
- If at any time you would like to view your form, you can go to the forms icon for your primary candidate and click on the hyperlinked form name.
- Route the paper packet to the applicable approvers listed for ‘ink’ signatures. It is best to expedite this by hand delivering.
- The printed form, along with the printed applicant materials (resume, cover letter, other related documents) for your top and two alternate candidates, must be forwarded to your Dean/Dept Head for approval.
- Once your Dean/Dept Head approves it, the entire printed packet must be sent to Jennifer Mastrangelo in the Provost's Office, Eastman Building.
- Jennifer will contact you once the pre-offer has been approved.
- Once the pre-offer approval form is fully approved, you can THEN make a verbal offer to the candidate and change the applicant status to: 45-OFFER EXTENDED.
- Once the verbal offer is accepted, you should create the Faculty Offer Letter by utilizing the following template:
- Receive back a signed copy of the offer letter.
- Once the candidate has formally accepted the offer, change the status of the applicant in Career Zone to 55-Candidate Accepted Offer
When you are ready to complete the New Hire EAF in Career Zone, you should change the applicant status to 55- HIRE EAF.
- In Career Zone, the Faculty Hire EAF should pop up when you change the candidate's status to 55-HIRE EAF (if it does not pop-up, you can access the form by going to the candidate results panel for your requisition, selecting your applicant and either clicking on the FORMS icon next to their name OR going to Actions-Add Form).
- Route for approval based upon the requirements of the university and your business unit. Each EAF must have at least two approvals from the department. Levels that are not required by your unit can be bypassed.
- Once the form is fully approved, the role or person indicated to be notified upon approval will receive an email.
- If anyone in the approval chain is holding up the approval process, you may contact them or their designate. If they are on vacation, an email from them or someone acting on their behalf must contact Office of Faculty Recruitment or Human Resources about bypassing their approval and approving the form on their behalf. Whoever approves the form on their behalf will show as the approver on the form.
- Another notification can be sent by the form creator to the next approver by clicking on the button that says “ROUTE TO NEXT PENDING APPROVER”.
- If you would like to view where in the approval process your form is, you can refresh your forms page and click on the VIEW FORM icon.
- After the electronic EAF is approved, HR Recruitment will change the candidate to: 95-Hire (Integrate to HRIS-HR use only). Be sure to send the Signed Faculty Offer letter to Human Resources. Human Resources will process the new hire into the Oracle HR System.
- You must disposition all remaining candidates in order for the requisition to be changed from Open to Closed.
It is extremely important that you final disposition any remaining candidates on your requisition after you have processed your hire. This is a university AND Government OFCCP requirement and subject to audit.
This is a two-step process of updating the Applicant Status and providing the reason by completing the Candidate Disposition Form that will pop-up in the system.
Before you disposition, please make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off so that the disposition form can pop up for you to select a reason code.
The recruitment offices will be unable to close your requisition until all of your remaining candidates are dispositioned, so your job will stay in OPEN (but NOT posted) status until this is done. The number in the ACTIVE candidates column of your “MY OPEN REQS” panel, will let you know if you still have candidates remaining.
You may also refer to the following instruction documents on applicant tracking and dispositioning:
- Dispositioning Instructions (updating applicant statuses) in Career Zone
- Dispositioning Powerpoint Presentation
Please email the HR Recruitment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org once all of your applicants are dispositioned so they can close out your requisition.