Leading Industry Provider - Recognized for the last four years by information technology research and advisory companies Gartner, IDC and Forrester as the leading provider of Managed Print Services in the industry.
Security Technology and Services - Combination of Xerox ConnectKey™ software and partnerships with Cisco and McAfee
Ease of Use - One common program and user interface accountable for driving the success of the project on behalf of RIT, making the transition process simple, flexible, and easy to access.
Higher Ed Expertise – Proven experience within higher education, with a demonstrated ability to generate participation across the university community by assigning dedicated teams with higher education expertise for assessments, change management and transition.
Breadth of Technology & Services - The most comprehensive portfolio of print related technologies in the industry, designed, developed and constructed in the United States.
Key Phases and Objectives
- Pilot and Phase 1: March 2013 - March 2014
- Test assumptions
- Develop processes
- Execute in selected areas
- Phase 2: March 2014 - March 2020
- Implement campus-wide to achieve maximum savings (Faculty and Staff)
- Phase 3: March 2014 - November 2014
- Develop plan to:
- Assess and optimize student/staff lab and mobile printing capabilities
- Maximize business process solutions
- Develop plan to:
- Phase 4: January 2015 - March 2020
- Assess ability to execute Phase 3 opportunities
Optimization follows a process that is designed to utilize factual data for the purposes of determining the proper output environment to provide end users with access to the capabilities that are required to complete their work.
Optimization or “future state” recommendations will be presented to the appropriate customer representatives for approval. Once mutually agreed upon, Xerox and RIT will communicate the future state to the appropriate end users in advance of implementation. This communication will include information and timing regarding devices to be removed and devices to be installed.
This process will begin in 2014.
For end users, this program will provide new or enhanced capabilities, proactive monitoring of devices, and on-site support services.
- Options for printing securely (see FAQ “How do I print confidential ...")
- 2-sided printing
- Faxing integrated with printing, copying and scanning on one device.
Capabilities will include:
- Color printing as required
- Newer, more efficient and reliable technology
- Proactive monitoring of devices alerting the Xerox Help Desk as needed
- Proactive order and delivery of device supplies (toner and maintenance items) to the device contact
- Onsite Associate as first responder for break-fix calls, preventive maintenance, and emergency supplies
- Data collection
- Evaluation of current state and total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Creation of future state design recommendations
- Review of design options with client area
- Approval of future state design and operating assumptions
- Creation of purchase requisition
- Scheduling of transition
- Target more balanced deployment between multifunction devices & networked printers (Cost Effectiveness)Consideration of building layout/design during future state design
- Aim for device/employee ratio of 1:5 (Optimization) This standard for employee to device ratio is based on other higher education institutions that have successfully implemented Managed Print Services. The target device to employee ratio may vary in particular areas, based on factors such as employee/space configuration, print volumes, etc. Areas where larger multi-function devices are deployed will typically have a larger number of employees per device.
- Multiple devices with like capabilities across the floor design (redundancy , depending on number of employees in the area)
- Walking distance - typically ~ 120 feet (on average).
- All floors, with more than 8 users each, will have a minimum of 2 print devices available
- Color print capability will be placed on each floor if it exists in the current environment
- Mono copy, scan to email, and fax capabilities will be placed on each floor where it exists in the current environment. Fax may be provided utilizing existing fax devices or thru use of fax enabled multifunction devices.
- Color copy capability will be provided on a business approved need
- All requested changes beyond the initial Xerox design will be considered, but may impact RIT’s overall cost savings objectives. RIT will determine whether such changes meet a business approved need.
- Regulatory requirements may preclude the achievement of or override other guidelines in this document; for example, the centralization of devices, or the ability to minimize walk distances.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to utilize existing facility capabilities where available. If the current facilities do not support the desired device, then RIT can select a new location for the proposed devices, which may void the above principles, or must accommodate the addition of furniture, power, and/or network drops prior to implementation.
- In areas where there are student print needs, such as student labs, those requirements will also be reviewed.
- Identification of key client contacts and departmental decision makers
- Location assessment of each departmental device
- Lease vs own, expiration dates, age of equipment, volumes, functionality, connectivity (networked), # of users
- ID tagging per device
- Device locations
- Ratios of devices per user
- Device capability vs actual utilization
- Calculation of current total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Based on replacing all current state devices using industry price averages
- Note: This is not necessarily the current departmental budget cost, i.e. devices purchased vs. leased (maintenance and supply costs) and/or devices obtained at no cost
- Key decision makers from each RIT department review current state/future state design with Xerox and RIT Managed Print Services program manager
- Make adjustments if necessary to align to business needs
- Final approval by RIT departmental and F & A leadership
- Departmental requisition preparers create an Oracle purchase requisition for each device
- Procurement Services Buyer will create separate Blanket PO’s for each device
- Purchase Order and lease signee name will be sent to Xerox representative
- Xerox representative will send lease documents to Procurement Services Buyer
- Signed leased documents will be attached to PO and returned to Xerox representative
A purchase order will be created for each machine and a total charge based on actual impressions at negotiated rates per impression (BW/color) plus a fixed monthly base charge will be invoiced monthly per machine.
Invoices will be sent directly to Accounts Payable and departmental charges will be posted monthly.
Questions regarding monthly charges can be directed to the RIT Managed Print Services Program Manager (ext. 52109).
- Confirm orders for site: Xerox
- Confirm site readiness (space, network, power, Fax, special needs/configurations): RIT Managed Print Services Project Manager
- Confirm delivery date and resources: Xerox
- Confirm site access: Xerox
- Conduct pre-installation call : Xerox/RIT IT resource( implementation procedures, print queues, IP addresses)
Location will be based upon a current state analysis of device locations, volumes and business needs, including consideration of device to user ratio. All future state designs will be reviewed and approved by RIT departmental representatives.
- Copiers under non-Xerox lease will require a buyout and pick–up from the current supplier
- No-value devices that are owned outright will be designated as trade-ins (up to a quantity of 3) and removed upon delivery of new Xerox equipment
- Where no new Xerox unit is being installed, units will be designated for pick-up by RIT’s electronic recycler (no quantity limit)
- Devices w/monetary value will be coordinated for sale by Managed Print Services project manager to RIT electronics recycler
Xerox will approve any devices that need to be moved permanently or on an ad hoc request. For a permanent move, Xerox will manage and move the device. The Key Device Contact will contact the Xerox Help Desk at 855-474-6358 to facilitate the request.
Please use Ritchie’s list which is an online tool for faculty and staff to promote a free office supply exchange within Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Share documents among your peers instead of printing multiple copies
- Re-examine office processes; use of electronic document storage instead of printing hard copies
- Use e-mail and scan-to-file options
- When you need to print, use paper efficiently
- Print duplex (double sided) whenever possible
Due to the higher cost of ownership, in most cases, personal desktop printers will be removed.
- Select a Xerox printer from your list of printers.
- Select the Properties button.
- Click on the Job Type dropdown menu.
- Select Secure Print.
- Create a Passcode that you can remember (4-10 digits).
- Your job will be held in the queue at the MFD until you release it, using the pin code you have selected.
At the Printer:
- Touch Secure Print tab
- Select your job in Jobs Queue
- Select Release
- Enter the Secure Print pass code and select Enter
- Toner levels will be proactively monitored remotely and automatically shipped to the site when they reach a specified level.
- Toner/consumables will be sent directly to the Key Device Contact (KDC) for the area. The KDC should replace toner when the current supply is depleted, to avoid waste and ensure cost effective usage.
- If for some reason you have not received a toner shipment or have an upcoming special project requiring higher than typical printing volumes, you may order supplies by phone or services portal:
- Contact the Xerox Help Desk at 855-474-6358.
- The KDC can also order supplies through the Xerox Services Portal (if you need access to the services portal, contact RIT Managed Print Services Program Manager, ext. 52109).
- Toner/supplies costs are included in the per impression rate (see How will usage …be charged?)
- Staples for a Multi–Function Device (MFD) are an incremental cost, and can be ordered with P-Card, by calling Xerox Supplies at 800-822-2200.
Service calls can be placed either by phone or through the services portal:
Contact the Xerox Help Desk at 855-474-6358.
Key Device Contacts can also place a service call through the Xerox Services Portal https://office.services.xerox.com/XSP/Login.aspx (if you need access to the services portal, contact RIT Managed Print Services Program Manager, ext. 52109).
The Xerox Help Desk will ask some questions by phone to gather information about the device and the problem, and do basic troubleshooting to resolve the problem if possible by phone.
If not resolved, the Xerox On-site Associate will be dispatched to review and resolve the problem. (In some cases a Xerox Technician will be dispatched.)
Based on Service Level Agreements with Xerox, response to calls will typically be within four business hours, with resolution next business day. If required, “hot swap” devices may be deployed if downtime will be longer, or for critical needs, staff may be re-directed to other available printers in the area.
- If the problem is not resolved, the Key Device Contact may contact the contact RIT Managed Print Services Program Manager, ext. 52109.
Project Start-up / Due Diligence
- Confirm data collection schedule for the site, reserve a room/area for Xerox, arrange for badges and provide logistics information for the site.
- Meet/greet data collection team, participate in data collection overview, escort the data collection team to room/area reserved and/or security, escort data collection team around the site (if necessary) and act as a liaison to facilities for access to closed areas (when necessary).
- Be available for concerns or issues during due diligence and be available for clarification items once the data collection team leaves.
- Coordinate Voice of Customer (VOC) meetings and future state approvals:
- Identify key users to attend future state recommendations review
- review recommendation with departmental key users, Managed Print Services Program Manager and Xerox
- obtain approval of recommendations.
- Submit signoff on site recommendation
- Participate in calls on implementation plan, review plan and provide feedback and assist with coordinating site readiness requirements.
- Assist in identifying and ensuring technical resources are available for implementation (if and when necessary).
- Work with facilities, MPS Program Manager, department IT administrator or ITS and Xerox to identify actual locations for all new printing devices based on Future State recommendations (where necessary).
- Receive notifications on equipment delivery status.
- Confirm rollout schedule for the site, reserve a room/area for the Xerox implementation team, arrange for badges and provide logistics information for site.
- Meet/greet implementation team, escort the implementation team to room/area reserved and/or security, escort Implementation Team around the site (if necessary) and act as a liaison to facilities for access to closed areas (when necessary).
- Turn device on/off during facility power test.
- Participate in and coordinate/schedule end user training.
- Be available for concerns or issues during implementation and be available for concerns or issues once implementation team leaves.
- Interact with the end user community, service technicians, helpdesk, consumables agents, etc. as needed.
- Act as focal point to escalate questions or issues in the department/area.
- Act as focal point to raise changing business needs to the Account Operations Manager for items such as moves, changes to volumes (special projects, additions to staff, etc.) and other changes.
- Place order for consumables if special request (for example, for an upcoming special project).
- Assure consumables and customer replaceable units are installed in the device.
- Assist new users (new hires, transfers, etc.) in mapping to devices.
- Verify old consumables for area are gathered & returned.
- Act as a focal point for requests regarding device changes and moves.
- First responder for break fix calls or issues.
- Coordinate break fix tickets with the Xerox Service organization and Xerox Helpdesk.
- Troubleshoot issues with Xerox 2nd level support.
- Manage an inventory of emergency supply items and device parts and distribute to end-user when necessary.
- Assist RIT with misc. issues (Meter collection, Connectivity issues, Firmware upgrades etc.)
- Assist end users with questions on Xerox equipment
- Diagnose and correct common image quality problems
- Clean equipment when onsite responding to a service call
- Perform “preventative maintenance” activities on equipment to maximize equipment uptime and to minimize service calls.
- Train users on the process for installing consumables/ customer replaceable units
To improve standardization across RIT, the following list of device models will typically be used for optimized designs:
- Phaser 3600/3610 (B/W printer)
- ColorQube 8870 (Color solid-ink printer)
- Phaser 3635 (B/W multifunction printer)
- WorkCentre 5330 (B/W multifunction device)
- WorkCentre 5855 (B/W multifunction device)
- WorkCentre 7225 (Color multifunction device)
- WorkCentre 7835 (Color multifunction device)
- WorkCentre 7855 (Color multifunction device)
No, Xerox is our sole provider for print solutions.