RIT Furniture Standards Guidelines
The Procurement Services Office has developed standards and recommendations to assist you with the procurement of your office furniture requirements. These standards have been developed to assure you of exceptional quality and service while ensuring functionality and efficient use of University funds.
The RIT furniture manufacturer has been selected based on their commitment to the RIT furniture standards. The manufacturer is Steelcase*, purchased through their supplier, Merkel Donohue. Within the Steelcase line, we have standardized on desks and systems furniture along with many different models of seating. They have agreed to and support the following:
- Pricing agreements established by RIT Procurement Services for pricing
- Deliver/install, clean, inspect furniture and remove cardboard and trash (this does not include remove of existing furnishings or furniture).
- Furniture design service and office space planning. (Includes one layout and one revision; additional revisions will be charged a design fee.)
- Support and samples in the RIT Ergonomics lab, CIMS room 2160
Things to remember when purchasing furniture:
- On your requisition indicate the location, building, room number, contact person and telephone number for delivery and installation
- Manufacturer name, part number and item description should be listed for each item. All finishes, fabrics and options must be listed for each item
- Provide a desired delivery date.
- Typical lead time for furniture orders is 6 to 8 weeks.
- After receipt of the items ordered, check immediately for correctness and damages. Report any discrepancies to the dealer immediately
- Furniture is made to order and is not returnable. Once a purchase is placed with a manufacturer, it cannot be cancelled.
- Procurement Services also does not carry an inventory of new furniture. There is, at times, a small surplus of used furniture available in the Building 99 warehouse. If you are interested in viewing the items, contact either the Receiving department or the Procurement Services Office
*RIT Furniture Standard Standards Alternatives: PSO realizes that there are times when a department may only need supplemental furniture and not a whole systems set up. In those instances where a department may only want to purchase a filing cabinet, table, bookshelves, etc, we have added the Hon line of furniture to the Staples on-line catalog. You can purchase Hon by accessing the www.staplesadvantage.com web site set up exclusively for RIT.
Disposal or Removal of Existing Furniture:
As part of your planning for new furniture for your department, whether it is for a renovation or new construction, you must plan for the removal of the existing furniture. Furniture that is to be scrapped must be taken to an off-campus disposal facility. Furniture that is considered surplus and still usable must be moved to building 99. The following charges apply:
Removal of office suite
Removal of classroom chairs and/or tables (min. may apply)
Call for quote
Furniture removal not involving furniture replacement by Merkel Donohue:
FMS does not generally provide furniture removal. FMS will hire a moving company and charge the department for the move.