The Procurement Services Office has developed standards and recommendations to assist you with the procurement of your office furniture requirements. These standards have been developed to assure you of exceptional quality and service while ensuring functionality and efficient use of University funds.
The RIT furniture manufacturer has been selected based on their commitment to the RIT furniture standards. The manufacturer is Steelcase*, purchased through their supplier, Merkel Donohue. Within the Steelcase line, we have standardized on desks and systems furniture along with many different models of seating. They have agreed to and support the following:
- Pricing agreements established by RIT Procurement Services for pricing.
- Deliver/install, clean, inspect furniture and remove cardboard and trash (this does not include remove of existing furnishings or furniture).
- Furniture design service and office space planning. (Includes one layout and one revision; additional revisions will be charged a design fee).
- Sample office mock-ups can be viewed in the Facilities building (99) M - F 8:30-4:00.
- A catalog of colors, fabrics and finishes is also available in the sample offices.
Purchases of sit/stand devices that sit on top of current office furniture are allowable at the department’s discretion. You may view a selection of these desktop solutions in the Better Me offices. Please contact Better Me at http://www.rit.edu/fa/betterme to make an appointment to view the samples.
Requests to replace/upgrade current office furniture with a sit/stand configuration will only be permitted with a doctor’s certificate. Please contact Susan Quinn (email@example.com), HR Benefits Specialist, to discuss.
Tips for Purchasing Furniture
- On your requisition indicate the location, building, room number, contact person and telephone number for delivery and installation.
- Manufacturer name, part number and item description should be listed for each item. All finishes, fabrics and options must be listed for each item).
- Provide a desired delivery date.
- Typical lead time for furniture orders is 6 to 8 weeks..
- After receipt of the items ordered, check immediately for correctness and damages. Report any discrepancies to the dealer immediately.
- Furniture is made to order and is not returnable. Once a purchase is placed with a manufacturer, it cannot be cancelled.
- Procurement Services also does not carry an inventory of new furniture. There is, at times, a small surplus of used furniture available in the Building 99 warehouse. If you are interested in viewing the items, contact either the Receiving department or the Procurement Services Office.