Hope Scholarship & Lifetime Learning Credit
This year as you fill out your tax forms you may have the opportunity to claim substantial tax credits to defray the cost of paying for college.
We at Rochester Institute of Technology strongly urge you to take advantage of these government programs. The Hope Scholarship Credit could reduce your taxes by as much as $1,500 per student, while the Lifetime Learning Credit, could reduce your taxes by up to $1,000 per household.
While the University is unable to provide advice or information regarding your personal tax situation, we are pleased to provide the following list of references that may be helpful in assessing your education tax credit eligibility.
- Tax Information for Students
- Tax Incentives for Higher Education
- IRS Tax Trails on Student Interest will walk you through a series of questions to see if you're qualified to take the deduction.
- IRS Publication 970 (PDF): Tax Benefits for Higher Education.
- Instructions for IRS Forms 1098-E and 1098-T (PDF)
- IRS Form 8863 -- Education Credits with instructions (PDF)
- IRS Form W-9S "Request for Student's or Borrower's Social Security Number". (PDF)
- Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (full-text)