Throughout its history, RIT’s leaders have shown a strong commitment to both the university and the community
In 2003, RIT Vice President Emeritus Alfred L. Davis established an endowment and award to commemorate the dedication of the four RIT Presidents (Mark Ellingson, Paul Miller, M. Richard Rose, and Albert Simone) with whom he worked. In 2005 he established a companion student award to commemorate the outstanding service of RIT trustee Bruce R. James.
Four Presidents Distinguished Public Service Award
Annually the Four Presidents Distinguished Public Service Award is presented to a current member of the faculty or staff who, through his/her public service, mirrors the lives of the four presidents - who have been not only outstanding professionals but also caring members of the community.
Bruce R. James ‘64 Distinguished Public Service
The Bruce R. James ‘64 Distinguished Public Service Award is presented to a current RIT student. This student public service award commemorates the distinguished public service of Bruce R. James, chair emeritus of the RIT Board of Trustees. The award recognizes a student for exemplary public service in the wider Rochester community. Its purpose is to also encourage other students to engage in public service.
• Evidence of extensive and diverse public service;
• Evidence that the individual is an important and participating member of the organization(s) served;
• Service as a board member or in a leadership role (e.g. president, etc.), and/or extensive service
at the grassroots level;
• A sustained commitment and service to at least one organization over an extended period of time;
* NOTE: Service should not be connected to or an extension of the nominee's professional job at RIT.
Requirements for Consideration
Nominators must submit the following in order for a nominee to be given full consideration**:
• A completed current nomination form.
• At least two letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with the nominee's
service contributions; more letters are encouraged.
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
**Nominators are encouraged to be in contact with the individual being nominated to collect and
provide comprehensive information that supports the nomination.