Electronics Lab: This facility is a GIS focal point for the development and analysis of eco-friendly electronic and embedded systems. Its goals are to provide advice, research, education, and technical assistance to government, academia and industry for the design of sustainable electronic systems.
- Designing systems taking into consideration the entire product lifecycle, including reuse, refurbishing, and end-of-life
- Analysis of existing products to determine their potential for remanufacturing and reuse
- Minimizing the use of non-sustainable techniques and materials (including lead)
- Development of test and requalification strategies to ensure that sustainable products are just as reliable and have the same long life as single-use designs
- Development of sensing and measurement systems for the in-situ analysis of sustainability, including energy production and consumption, and platform health (diagnostics and prognostics)
- Rapid prototyping of systems for both lab and in-field environments