Research at GIS
Research at GIS aims to develop innovative and implementable solutions to some of the world’s most complex sustainability challenges. GIS consists of a diverse set of applied research centers, areas of expertise, sponsored programs and initiatives that all focus on industry collaboration on the deployment of new technologies for more efficient and sustainable products and processes.
Research by Topic
GIS research staff, engineers, graduate students, and partner organizations work together to find answers to some of society’s most challenging sustainability problems. We offer a diverse portfolio of groundbreaking applied research that has immediate application and demand in the real world. Compiled here are just some of the focus areas where cutting-edge research is taking place.
Applied Research Centers
Applied Research Centers under the Center for Integrated Manufacturing Studies:
- The New York State Pollution Prevention Institute is a partnership with NYS to reduce toxic use, emissions, waste generation and natural resource consumption through applied research, technology deployment, and information dissemination.
- The Center of Excellence in Advanced & Sustainable Manufacturing is a partnership with the State of NY to help NYS manufacturers gain competitive advantages through advanced manufacturing technologies and more sustainable products and processes.
- The Center for Remanufacturing and Resource Recovery conducts applied research in remanufacturing processes and technologies.
- The Center for Sustainable Energy Systems conducts systems-focused applied research for waste-to-value-add, micro-grids, smart cities, smart products and remote support.
- The Center for Sustainable Mobility develops viable technologies for sustainable transportation systems and interconnected smart city systems.
- The Printing Applications Lab conducts research and offers training in areas of print media, including quality control, color measurement, and coating performance.
In addition, GIS also maintains the NanoPower Research Labs, an applied research center which conducts research on new materials and devices for power generation and storage for microelectronic components and micro-electromechanical systems.